Help! My MBP won't turn on anymore!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blusteel, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Blusteel macrumors newbie

I'm using my iPod to post this.

Okay, so I've had this for about a year now. It's an early 2008 15-in. MacBook Pro. For some reason it turned off unexpectedly one day while it was still 91% charged. Now I can't get it to turn on at all. I already tried the SMC, PRAM, & PMU resets to no avail. When I turn it on all I hear is the fan and then the small white light in front lets out a dim glow, nothing on the screen. The batteries five lights glow which mean it's fully but I still can't seem to get it working. It's as if the MacBook doesn't recognize the battery or something, even with the AC cord connected to it!

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

First question:
    What graphics card do you have?
    If you have the Nvidia 8600, you may be eligible for a free repair.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

From what you described - it sounds like some hardware component has failed.

Do you have an external OS X bootable drive (USB/FireWire)? Or if you have the OS X Install DVD try popping it in and holding 'C' key while starting. If it boots from DVD or external drive it might be the hard drive that's dead.

Is this a NVidia 8600M GT based Macbook Pro? If so it may be eligible for free repair under this program.

4. Blusteel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. It does have an 8600m GT graphics card. So, is my problem common and is the graphics card damage related to the Mac's random shutdowns?

Well, come to think of it I have been getting problems with some java applications on firefox as they would usually crash during a session, mostly YouTube videos. This also made my computer turn off randomly sometimes too. I would hear some sort of light clicking sound in my computer and then all of a sudden all java-related things such as streaming videos would just crash with an icon indicating some sort of java-related error.

Thanks

5. Blusteel thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed it!

Okay so I miraculously brought my MBP back to life by taking it apart and baking ts logic board my my oven! Turned it on after re-assembly and voila! It worked! Grilled Apples anyone?

Btw thanks for all the suggestions, guys! :)