Help! My MBP won't turn on!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McBoar, Jul 11, 2011.

1. McBoar macrumors newbie

As the title suggests, my Macbook Pro won't turn on. When I press the power button, the little white light comes on for about 15 seconds, then flicks off, then comes on again and stays on. There is no chime and no sign that the display is working, though I can hear that the fans and hard drive are running. Plugging my power cord into my laptop when I start it makes no discernible difference, and when I press the little button on the side, it shows that my battery is fully charged. I'm fairly new to Mac, but I've been working with PCs for a long time, and when I opened my laptop up, everything seemed to be in good working order. I don't want to take my computer to the mac store- I've had other problems with this computer, and to be honest, I'm pretty sick of it. I just want to know if there's an obvious solution that I'm missing in my mac noobery; if not, I will be more than happy to buy a new laptop and try to ebay my current MBP as junk.

Thanks for replying!

2. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Try plugging it in to an external monitor? If it works, that would confirm an LCD problem.

3. McBoar thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried plugging it into an external monitor to no avail. Thanks for the tip though, I hadn't tried that yet.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

The obvious solution you're missing is taking it to the Apple store. Of course, you could format and reinstall your OS if you want to.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Make sure your ram is seated in place. I had loose ram on a Mac cause a very similar behavior.

Resetting your SMC / PRAM.

Possibly even consider disconnecting power and battery for a moment - hitting the power button to bleed out the caps, and then restore power. Out there, but it might help.