HELP! My MIL is burning through Apple Bluetooth mice!

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
My mother in law is having Mac problems and as usual I'm trying to diagnose them remotely, which is always fun...

She's on her 3rd Apple Magic Mouse (2nd gen) in a little under two years. She claims they just stop working and then she rushes out to buy a new one each time, not giving me time to troubleshoot or recommend another brand. I'll be up there for Thanksgiving in a couple weeks so hopefully I can get a look at the one she just replaced, but in the past I've taken her old ones home with me and they've worked just fine on my Macs (I believe I'm using her 1st MM2 right now on my MBP at work).

It's very possible that it ran out of charge and she overreacted, but she knows how to charge them and there's usually a warning when the charge is low. I'm trying to figure out if something else is going on that may be affecting her mice. Could there be an issue with her Bluetooth chip? She's using a fairly new iMac (maybe 2016 or 2017). I think her keyboard is wired so the mice are the only Bluetooth device. Any way to troubleshoot a BT mouse beyond the obvious?

TIA,
L

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Best to check it out in person when you're visiting there. The MM may have become unpaired or something interfered with the BT signal shutting the MM down. Hard to say without being there. Good luck and always a good idea to keep MIL happy. A happy MIL = a happy wife. :rolleyes:

Reactions: dawindmg08

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Get her a Logitech mouse (with a unifying receiver that plugs into a USB port).
It will last longer, won't disconnect, and she may even be happier.

Ask her to visit a Staples or other office store, or perhaps a computer store, and try the various Logitech mice on display. Then get the one she likes the best.

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Get her a Logitech mouse (with a unifying receiver that plugs into a USB port).
It will last longer, won't disconnect, and she may even be happier.

Ask her to visit a Staples or other office store, or perhaps a computer store, and try the various Logitech mice on display. Then get the one she likes the best.
Yeah, I'm about at that point. Hell, if we're going that route then I might as well buy her a really good wired mouse and call it a day. The iMac is just sitting on a desk in her bedroom, there's no reason for a BT mouse at all really.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Hmm.. might be an opportunity if you can convince her to go buy a new car when she runs out of gas... :)