Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Hi,

I just reinstalled OS X 10.3 on my old iBook (G3) to give to my girlfriend and now the monitor is all messed up when it gets to the desktop. I can sort of see but there are a bunch of vertical lines and the colors are messed up. What can I do?

Thanks,

T

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
Boot the iBook using the install disk. Is the display ok? If so, reinstall the OS.

If the lines don't go away when booted to the install disk, you can try to reset the PMU, PRAM and NVRAM.

Hopefully, one of those fix your problem. It is sort of a known issue with those iBooks the problem you are describing. If the above does not fix the problem (and the display is still screwed up when booted to the install disk), then you probably have an iBook that just failed on you (probably a bad video cable that runs through the hinge of the iBook).

teiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
To answer your questions:

When I turn on my computer (when there is the big grey apple), the screen is perfect. As soon as the blue X appears with the loading bar, it messes up.

I'm gonna try to reinstall I guess. Is that what you mean by reboot Jestered? Like, put in the install CD and reinstall?

Jestered, what does resetting the PMU, PRAM and NVRAM mean?

Thanks a lot guys (or girls)

teiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for the help guys.

In case anyone has this problem too, I fixed it by simply upgrading from 10.3 to 10.3.9...

T

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the help guys.

In case anyone has this problem too, I fixed it by simply upgrading from 10.3 to 10.3.9...

T

Sounds like the driver(s) for video were screwed up. Re-installing the OS, or updating it will both fix the problem

I'm glad you got it working!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Sounds like the driver(s) for video were screwed up. Re-installing the OS, or updating it will both fix the problem

I'm glad you got it working!

You've told him twice to reinstall the OS - you do realise he said in his original post that he just did that? ;)

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
You've told him twice to reinstall the OS - you do realise he said in his original post that he just did that? ;)

UUmmmmmm, exactly. If he just installed the OS and is now having video issues, then the first thing that I think is, "something screwed up during the install". If something screws up during the install, then how do you fix it??? You reinstall the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.