Help! My most used iPhone 4 feature hasn't worked for ages.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DIESEL-X, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DIESEL-X macrumors newbie

My WiFi Personal Hotspot has been broken for many version now, it perpetually has the 'Connection Timeout' error and never connects.

Basically I found my iPhone 4 at it's most productive and very useful around the time I upgraded to iOS version 4.2.5 (or/and 4.2.6). It was at this time that Apple finally blessed the iPhone with one of its best features, the 'Personal Hotspot' which is simplified tethering made very accessible and easy to use. This feature was made available using three different types of connection; WiFi Hotspot (by far the best), Bluetooth and USB Cable connection.

I have given up hoping that Apple would fix the Personal WiFi Hotspot feature on subsequent updates because I even continued updating my iPhone 4 with iOS 5 beta releases which didn't appear to resolve nor cure the problem.

I'm starting to think that the only way to get that feature back is to resort to restoring right back to when it was working 100% perfectly without flaw and the last time I remember that, was for the period on and after the iOS 4.2.5 (and/or 4.2.6) update. I cannot remember the exact precise version that the Personal WiFi Hotspot produced the permanent 'connection timeout' problem, but am pretty sure it was around 4.3.something (maybe just at 4.3).

Incidentally the problem did not appear to be anything else having tried linking to more than one different Mac (to illuminate the computer possibility) and the same iPhone was used. The USB and Bluetooth side of it continued to work, well at least up until iOS 5 beta 7 in which iOS 5 beta 7 took away the APN Network settings and Tethering!

In case your thinking 'well why not use USB or Bluetooth', basically for the following reasons. Incidentally, all three types of Personal Hotspot/tethering do have their pros & cons and differences, but the main reasons are:-

1. USB cable connection admittedly keeps iPhone charged BUT when balancing MacBook Pro on your lap, you then also have to balance the iPhone nearby with its short cable having to remember your 'attached' before getting up in a hurry and say folding MacBook away or to carry both together very awkwardly if going to another room or location, plus the charging of the iPhone draws more power from what ever power is left on your MacBook battery (which may be low to start with)

2. Bluetooth does give you the much desired and preferred cordless/cable free freedom, however the range and speed is not as powerful as WiFi and other Bluetooth devices such as the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse require the same resource therefore performance can take a hit.

3. WiFi method is really favoured as you could have the iPhone in your pocket (as with Bluetooth) however the connection is much stronger with a better range and speed. Naturally this will have more of a drain on your iPhone, but most of the time I had the iPhone in it's charging dock on the desk in the living room and was able to use the MacBook Pro on the desk, on the sofa and could even take the MacBook Pro to use in the bedroom while still maintaining a WiFi link 'through the walls' to the iPhone in the next room where Bluetooth wouldn't cope.

Will I have to restore back to 4.2.5 (or 4.2.6) and if so where a possible link would be to download these versions, or does anyone know for sure which is the very last stable version to have the working Personal 'WiFi' Hotspot that I would be able to option(Alt)Restore and address the baseband. I'm not quite sure, but I'm guessing that I experienced the problem (connection timeout) around iOS version 4.3.3/4.3.4 (or was it 4.4.3)?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Are you still have a tethering plan? Double check with your carrier.

If you do have a tethering plan and it doesn't work then restore and set up as new (you will lose all settings/game saves/app data).

3. charliecc macrumors regular

As the above guy says, potentially your carrier has stopped it.

4. DIESEL-X thread starter macrumors newbie

Tethering's ok for my provider.

Tethering does work ok using USB and Bluetooth link option, it just hasn't worked using the WiFi option for a while now. It immediately played up (WiFi link that is) right after one of the updates I did back in July time, which incidentally I had delayed doing because the iPhone and tethering was working so flawlessly at the time.. Doh!

The recent iOS 5 beta 7 vanished tethering but got it back through installing a recommended IPCC. Still the same story though with using the personal WiFi hotspot tethering type connection.. 'connection timeout' - its like a bad dream.