Help! My Post-it Notes Have Vanished?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maclarny, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Like Milton without his stapler, I am enduring quite a profound sense of loss, here.

My entire dashboard is literally filled with post-it notes. Or was. When I booted my computer, this morning, I discovered that about half of my notes were totally blank. Thinking a reboot might solve the problem and return to me my precious mini memoranda, I promptly restarted. Wrong move.

Having just booted up once more, I returned to my dashboard to find that only two of my yellow friends contained the precious knowledge they once possessed.

What's going on?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Look for this file widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist under User(you)/Library/Preferences.

The Stickies notes are stored there.

3. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Just looked at the file. It does not contain any of the missing information. It literally seems to have simply vanished.

Any other ideas?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have any kind of backup?

Maybe you could try a software like Data Rescue II, which scans the hard drive for all files, even if they are deleted. It works most of the time, except if they are overwritten at the same physical place on the hard drive.

Otherwise I think they are lost.

5. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Any idea how this could have happened? I cannot think of any possible catalyst...

6. vjlab macrumors newbie

The same

Hy guys, I have the same problem, I cant beleave, I've lost a lot of important infos in the postits, the same way. Anyone has discover the solution?????

it could be a viruses????

thanks
    vj lab

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, it is not a "viruses"

But if you Google "missing stickies mac" you will find a lot of references to the same phenomena.

Here was one solution... I have no idea if it works or not...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]