Help! My screen won't stay on.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kahn1515, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kahn1515 macrumors newbie

When I turn my computer on the screen will go in and out and somtimes when it is out I can see a faint image of the destop. When I hit spacebar i here the hard drive come on and somtimes the screen will come on just like its coming awake from sleep mode but after only a couple of seconds it goes right back out.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the first thing to do would be to dig up your OS install discs or the discs that came with the computer, shut down (force it if you have to by holding down the power button), and boot from them (put the disc in, start the computer while holding down the C key).

If the screen comes up normally at that point, it's probably a software issue of some sort--give a little more detail (model of Mac, what version of the OS you're running), and people here might be able to suggest things to try. If it's still screwed up, then you've got a hardware problem and it's time to get it serviced.

3. pazreal macrumors regular

Have you tinkered with your energy settings? Is it basically going down to a sub-minimum screen brightness or is it the screen turning off like pre-sleep. A possible workaround might be to install Caffeine and have it not drop power settings when you know you are there working and not walking away for a moment or so.