Help! My storage drives from Mac Pro "not readable" by iMac through Firewire???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by StephenCampbell, Oct 11, 2013.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

My user finished transferring during the night, and for the most part everything is working (except my trackpad won't connect via bluetooth), but my two 3TB drives from my tower come up as unreadable through the Firewire.. it gives me the option to Initialize, Ignore or Eject.

?????

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The quote below is from the Apple Support boards..there are a lot of people having issue with 3TB HDD's and FW...For some a change of enclosure seems to work, but I wouldn't count on it:

I had the same problems with a 3TB Hitachi drive with Quad interface OWC enclosures until I tried an Esata connection. It seems that Firewire 800 & 400 does not work with 3TB drives even though these external enclosures are rated for 3TB. The Firewire / USB enclosures only show 801 TB. So buyer be-ware."

If possible, try the drives in another machine to see if they are correctly recognised before paying out $$$ for something that may not fix the problem.

3. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the quick reply. Luckily I've got a OWC Quad interface 4TB drive that I got for Time Machine with the iMac. I'll dump the contents of my 3TB internal Mac Pro drive onto it, and then offload it on the iMac via USB 3.0. This OWC drive is readable by both Macs.

Not impressed, Apple.

4. KaraH macrumors 6502

My 4 TB drive from OWC in a voyager/q via firewire to a 2007 mac running snoow leopard asked me to initialize the drive as well. Since there was a paper in the box that it was preloaded with backup software I am guessing it was already initialized.

Initializing it on my machine worked, but I would have liked to have those programs if they were preinstalled.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's poor that Apple don't fix this...I'm lucky enough to have a Pegasus R4 so don't have any access issues, but you'd think they's fix this bug. Maybe they consider FW to be outdated now with the advent of T/Bolt technologies etc.