Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBoyBmw760li

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
BOSTON
Good afternoon everyone,

I have a very annoying issue which came upon the past week regarding my trackpad. I received my 5k iMac as a gift for school earlier this year and I love it! But ever since last week, when I put new batteries in the trackpad, it does not physically click in. I tried to search but it seems no one has the right answer. I do know that sometimes when its off but you can still use it the trackpad will not physically click in until you press the button the green light comes on. But when I put these new double AA's in, the trackpad wont let me physically click. My father likes using a traditional wireless mouse and I heard it can apparently interfere with the trackpad.

So is there anyway of resolving this? The trackpad is in mint condition and has never fell down or got water on it. If your a video editor like myself this is extremely annoying....

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend everyone!

-BMW760

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
when I put new batteries in the trackpad, it does not physically click in. I tried to search but it seems no one has the right answer. I do know that sometimes when its off but you can still use it the trackpad will not physically click in until you press the button the green light comes on.
The trackpad like yours will click even without batteries in it. The clicking actually happens with the small nubs at the lower end of the trackpad so make sure that they are not stuck or restricted from moving. Sometimes if something is stuck to the underside of the trackpad or otherwise obstructing one of those nubs, the clicking won't work.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
The odd thing is that the click is actually on the feet on the trackpad. That being said, make sure that there's nothing that prevents it from clicking and make sure the surface the trackpad is on is 100% flat.

BigBoyBmw760li

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
BOSTON
The odd thing is that the click is actually on the feet on the trackpad. That being said, make sure that there's nothing that prevents it from clicking and make sure the surface the trackpad is on is 100% flat.

I understand, the issue is it won't physically click down. Idk why :(

BigBoyBmw760li

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
BOSTON
Will your trackpad click down after you remove the batteries?
Unfourtunatly, it's not. It's literally like poking you finger on a glass table or something....can't feel the click at all. The batteries are called Sargita btw if that might have to do with anything.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
100% flat, and also a hard surface. I use a mousepad with my trackpads (just for the wrist rest) and I had a hard time getting it to click, because the mousepad is soft and the trackpad would sink into it a bit before clicking. The Magic Trackpad 2 uses a different method for physical clicking and doesn't suffer from this issue.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sorry, forgot to ask which trackpad you have.
You said you tried changing the batteries. The new trackpad 2 does not have replaceable batteries, and also doesn't have a mechanical click - so I assume you have the older Magic Trackpad.
Your older Magic Pad should have a click, and should definitely respond mechanically on the edge furthest from the batteries.
You should both feel and hear it. If a wireless mouse interferes with the signal from the trackpad, that's a different issue. You should still feel a click.
You would still be able to tap-to-click (a setting in the trackpad preference pane, not the same as the click at the bottom edge), so it still will remain useful for you.
Or, just replace it. If the iMac is still in warranty, or has the Applecare extended warranty, you can get the trackpad replaced at an Apple store, or an authorized service provider.

zachsdad

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
I did not know that track pads could be "psychically" controlled! Try using your hand to click....
- sorry could not resist...

Seriously. Batteries have nothing to do with physically clicking, so get the battery thing out of your head for now. GENTLY tap each of the four corners of the trackpad on your desk. Sounds like you may have something stuck in the edges.

I don't think you have an electrical problem. Certainly is odd. BTW the newest trackpad is VERY GOOD if yours is actually physically broken

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
One my trackpad, the "click" is actually produced by the 2 rubber feet at the front. Pressing the foot will produce the desired click, pressing on the bottom will not. If the feet aren't on a hard surface there may be no click.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Last year, I had the same after two weeks of usage. Just bring it back to the store.

I was too lazy to bring it back to the store. I ripped the white plastic from the back. It's fastened with a couple of glue strips. When you take it off, it bares the aluminum frame. Within that frame, the white nubs as well as the electronics are bolted on. Very interesting to see. And incidentally, it also made the trackpad click again.

But I only advise that when you're blessed with insatiable curiosity. The easiest is to bring it back to the store :)

For the curious, here's a picture. Source: iFixit repair guide for Magic Trackpad 1.

DPoCmIXB6ybwbDO3.medium

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.