Help navigating to iPhoto Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubstar, Sep 14, 2010.

1. dubstar macrumors member

How can I navigate to my iPhoto Library and see it as folders?

If I right click on a photo within iPhoto and select "show file", it shows me this file structure:

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

But if I just navigate to the same spot on my external HD, I get this:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It just stops at the iPhoto Library, I cannot go into the subsequent folders. It would be nice to be able to look at my photos without going into iPhoto.

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Right-click/Ctrl-click on iPhoto Library and choose "Show Package Contents" from the menu.

If you use iPhoto, it's generally better and easier if you manipulate and navigate your photos from within iPhoto. That's what it's for.

3. dubstar thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick response.

I do understand it is better to use iPhoto and I plan on doing so. I just want the option to look at the photos from the folder they are in, like if I want to copy a group of photos to a flash drive or something.

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You are still better off copying to flash drive from iPhoto app rather than finder. There are so many things that can go wrong when one goes into that folder. I always recommend that users forget that the file is there and stay out -- just use the app to do whatever you want with or to your photos. That's what is was made for. I'm sure you don't want to risk losing your photos, or rendering iPhoto incapable of finding your photos for you.

5. dubstar thread starter macrumors member

yea since posting I've read more about not touching the folders within the library.

I will stay out.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That's why Apple made it a package file. I think it was prior to iPhoto 7 it used a regular folder structure and users would go into it and move things around, delete things, etc. and really bork their iPhoto library. iPhoto is best used from within iPhoto. Let it do all the heavy lifting. If you want to make a copy of a group of photos you can just select the photos that you want a copy of and choose Export from the File menu (I believe).