Help! Need a USB-C hub with no "tail" and a few other specs

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JES, Jul 29, 2019.

1. JES macrumors member

I'm looking for a powered hub with no "tail" -- just a port for connecting a USB-C cable to my iPad Pro. Everything seems to have a little stubby tail on it, which won't work for my application -- I've got the iPad up on a mic stand and am connecting it to audio gear. I'm leery of extension cords for USB, but I guess that's another option...

I also need at least 3 USB-a plugs, as well as power passthrough (or plain powered). I can't have any audio interface or headphone jack, as I'm plugging into a separate audio interface.

TIA.

2. sparksd, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019

sparksd macrumors 68020

3. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors 6502

There’s a few hubs that connect directly to the ipad—satechi has one. hyperdrive is another. All the other parts you can search on amazon. They are all made in china.

4. JES thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. The two recommended hubs seem to have headphone jacks, so I may well be headed for an extension cable....

5. JES thread starter macrumors member

6. sparksd macrumors 68020

Note their power usage notes -

- This hub is not meant to serve as a stand-alone charger. Not compatible with iPads or any other devices which have irregular charging requirements.
    - To ensure a stable connection, don't use this hub with high power consumption devices (those exceeding a combined current of 2 Amps among all ports) such as some large-capacity hard drives.

7. JES thread starter macrumors member

8. dwig macrumors 6502a

It might be suitable, but it won't power the iPad of course.

I'd suggest a hub with USB-PD and, if it has a "tail" (permantly attached USB-C cable for connecting to the iPad) then arrange to clamp the hub to the stand that is holding the iPad. That way there is no load on the connector at the iPad regardless of what is connected to the hub.