Help- Need Advice on buying first Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nullx86, Jul 4, 2009.

1. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Help? I am getting a Mac for college, and I am doing it online, but I cant choose betweena 15"MBP and a 24"iMac. Someone help? Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do you need to take your computer with you when you go places?

3. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Only if I go out of town or should I have another knee surgery, but I have two laptops already, so Im just wondering if its worth it to get the laptop or cheap out and get the iMac?

(I have two dells if your wondering, one M1530 and an e1505)

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

The thing about college is that it is always convenient to take your primary machine with you to study groups or lectures or wherever you want to go. If you don't see yourself doing that, and relying on the laptops you have for potential on-the-go computing, then the imac is the wiser choice as it affords more power at lower cost. If you think you might want your mac mobile, without depending on your existing laptop, get the MB. I personally am an advocate of laptops for students, because many don't understand the dependancy on which some of your classes are to computers.

5. DrunkenMunky macrumors member

Personally... i would go for the MacBook pro.

Youll be supprised now how you'll require a portable machine.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get the MBP. Portability is today and unless you really need the power of iMac MBP is the best choice. Also, get an external monitor if you want more screen space

7. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Well all my classes are online, so my classes are dependant on the computer :p I like the thought of being able to take the Mac withe me... But I need whats the cheapest and most bang for my buck...

edit: ok, since most are saying get the MBP, what graphics card should I need?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless you're a gamer, 9400M will be fine for you

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

It only has one GPU option.

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Are you sure about that?

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Yes. The base 15'' has the 9400M and the others have 9400M + 9600M GT. But if you know which one you want, there is only one GPU option.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Ummm... as much as iThink the MacBook Pro is the best option, do you really need a third notebook. I mean Mac's are great, but there is a limit.

13. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

lol, true, but im not sure whats better for a Mac... thats why I'm asking... I know you dont need a whole lot of GPU power for a Mac unless your doing like hard core video editing, and still, its not like you need a GTX280... Thats just overkill, but I dont want to spend money on something like that when I dont need it/wont use it fully...

Well, the e1505 I have is 2006/2007 and is old hardware (t7200, 2GB ram w/ 2gb max, nvidia geforce 7300 128mb), the M1530 (T9300, 4GB ram, Nvidia 9600M) is my moms and is her main computer for college so I'm kinda up the creek without a paddle on that...

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It seems to be something of a trade off between power and portability. For college, I'd suggest that you opt for portability as a computer you can transport to classes, seminars, libraries etc will be a lot more useful to you than one which sits on your desk. If you need a better screen, then I'd recommend that you get an external monitor. So, my call would be the MBP.

Cheers and good luck

15. suekitch macrumors regular

Situations I've come across where having a laptop is nice (may be stating the obvious but sometimes you don't realise how you might find something useful until someone points out something you'd not thought of):

1. Taking notes in a physical classroom (doesn't sound like it applies to you though)
    2. Group work (presentations)
    3. Visiting people - friends, family. Being away from one place for a significant amount of time (significant depends on the person and situation!), and needing a computer either for work or recreation.
    4. Travelling - a bit different to the above, meaning more if you spend time on planes, trains, boats etc where you'd benefit from having a computer with you again either for fun or work :)

Hell sometimes it's nice being able to pick your computer up and carry on what you were doing from the sofa/bed (though keeping it well-ventilated, mind!) ;)

16. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

yeah I know what you mean, and I think I'm set on getting a MBP, but now its a decision of which one... I think the 13 would be just right, since I dont see myself gaming on it (Although I do see me running either BootCamp or VM Fusion for those "essential" Windoze apps), and If i must game, my other laptop (one in sig) can handle most games at decent resolutions.

So MBP + Display Adapter & Large (21" and up) screen = win?

17. suekitch macrumors regular

You might be surprised - I haven't missed anything from Windows since I swapped to Mac.

In fact quite the opposite. I was away from my iMac, visiting my home town and my old boss who had a job for me - a web site. Being very, very busy with my school work I didn't want to spend forever sorting something out and I found myself wishing I had iWeb with me so I could do a really good job in a decent amount of time.

So I ended up getting a MBP 13" because I missed my Mac when I'm on the road, lol. I already have two Windows laptops... one my mum has now inherited, the other I'm not sure what to do with as I don't think it'd sell.

(And the website was a huge success, I used a combination if iWeb, iMovie and GarageBand to put something shiny together ;))

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, it's the best combo, just add wireless mouse and KB.

Veni Vidi Vici

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Someone may have said this (I didnt read the whole thread) but GET THE LAPTOP.

Portability is a must in college. Not to mention you can always get an external monitor for your dorm if you want the screen real estate.

Some professors allow laptops in the classroom for note taking. This is huge if your like me and type waaay faster then you write.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you mean you don't go to class or a lecture hall, that does change the equation somewhat. It would be a viable option to get the cheapest imac you can for class and soldier on with your windows laptops until they no longer work or become unusable.

This is ultimately a question of personal preference. Apple's selling macbooks like hotcakes right now, but the people I know who use the 24" iMacs love them.

Go to an apple store or best buy and just play with each before you make a decision.

21. urbancowboy35 macrumors newbie

I work on a MBP for years and I always would by a portable Mac again! It's so much more convenient. Even at home! You can sit on the sofa, on the balcony, in bed! Go for a laptop, man!:D

22. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

heh, my windows laptop is already unstable. Fricking Dell. :mad:

Yeah, I think Im going for a 13" MBP