Help...need creative printing solution for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacPro86, Jan 11, 2016.

1. MacPro86 macrumors newbie

This probably has been posed before but I can't find anything solid online...

We are starting to use iPads in our service related business when meeting with clients/individuals to present our information and typically there is a bit of paper work / a word doc or two that would be nice to print. We travel to several satellite facilities we have in a more rural area, and it isn't feasible for us to pay for internet service there, especially when we can pay $10/device and have portable 4G on our new iPad Air 2's.

I am aware of the numerous printers out there that create an "ad-hoc" network to connect to, but when connected, it doesn't allow you to use 4G data. If it were just me using it, I would say problem solved, but since we have a few who aren't as savvy, I want to make this as easy as possible, ideally utilizing a bluetooth printer.

I have been looking for an "All-in-one", mainly print and copy black laser printer, but cannot find anything that fits the laser spec, (don't want inkjet, as they tend to dry out). I know there are some NFC (Near Field Communication) printers out there, but it doesn't appear iOS devices support this beyond Apple Pay at this time...

Any ideas or anything that I have missed? Again, it has to be simple given the group I work with.

Thanks

2. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

3. MacPro86 thread starter macrumors newbie

this wouldn't' work...as mentioned, am looking to have a "stand alone" printer at a facility without a network or internet access, much less a dedicated server. Just want to be able to print wirelessly to the printer.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't think you are going to find anything laser that really qualifies as portable. Maybe a thermal printer instead (although these seem to be primarily aimed at receipt-sized printing). Easiest thing to do might be to just use one of the many cheap inkjet printers and make sure you keep spare cartridges on hand.

5. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Sorry.. didn't quite understand that bit... It might be possible to solve the connection issue instead of trying to find a printer? HP offers a few WiDi printers that would create a WiFi access point directly on the printer.

You mentioned that you need to be able to use 4G simultaneously, perhaps you could try this?
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ice-theres-no-internet-connection-on-the-wifi

This should, technically, allow you to connect to the WiDi device and use it, while simultaneously using the 4G network for internet access. You could probably test this out at home before making any firm choices?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The newer hp inkjet business range does create an ad hoc network but it does not block the Internet traffic. It just shows up when you tap print once you've connected to it once.

Also you mentioned lazer. The above mentioned printers are compatible if not cheaper these days

7. MacPro86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...I should have looked at this first...I have a HP at home that has this feature, and was able to test and confirm that the 4G still does work while connected to the printer network.

Thanks

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you can buy new printers for these locations, and aren't trying to get an existing printer to work with iPads, look for AirPrint compatible printers.