Help, need decent FREE video editing software for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by spacepower7, Jul 2, 2008.

1. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I am looking for FREE video editing software for PC.

I use all Mac software myself and don't keep up with the Windows apps.

Anybody have any advice. My grandpa (84 years old) is a Windows XP user and its a little late in the game to try to convert him to Macs. He already does websites in MS Frontpage but Dreamweaver was overwhelming for him.

So I am looking for a FREE easy to use windows app (like iMovie) that he can edit DV and video from one of those pocket cams. He is looking to be able to edit a little then upload to video sharing sites like youtube etc...

The first thing I found on google is "Windows Movie Maker 2.1"
    Is this app any good? I don't have a Windows box to test it on?

Thanks for any advice.

2. mike21190 macrumors member

I used windows movie maker once about 3 years ago. Then went on to use Pinnacle Liquid. It's ok for editing. Very basic and easy to use.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Windows Movie Maker comes with Windows XP (at least it comes with XP Pro). My Windows virtual machine running XP Pro SP2 has Movie Maker version 5.1 installed.

My wife's parents use Windows and they use Movie Maker. I tried it and it isn't as easy to use as iMovie, but it gets the job done. There is no integration with programs equivalent to iDVD, iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand, so you have to do more manual importing of additional media and exporting of the finished video. On the plus side, it retains some effects that were lost moving from iMovie HD to the new iMovie (speed up / slow down, some transitions, some credits modes) that I noticed when I finally made the switch to the iLife '08 version. If you are not looking to spend a lot on a pro app, it would be the closest counterpart to iMovie available for Windows.

4. spacepower7 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks

Thanks guys

We used Windows Movie Maker and it was good enough for his needs. It's pretty simple to figure out since it's similar to iMovie and anyone with FCP/Avid/Media100 experience can figure it out in a few minutes.

We had great grandchildren's videos and slide shows up on youtube within a half hour.

Success

Thanks

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If he knows Avid, they have a free version out as well. Avid FreeDV, google it. He might like it.