Help - need Dual-bay Raid enclosure w 2xFW800...in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigvb@hotmail.c, May 9, 2010.

1. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

Anyone have any advice for me;

I need JBOD, Raid 0 and Raid 1 facilities.

The PERFECT thing is the Taurus Raid 2:

http://www.inxtron.com/products/hddmulti/taurus/pdd_raid2

But i just emailed the only web site in the UK that had it, and they say its no longer in production anymore.

Im hoping to put two of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-082-SA&tool=3

In there, they look super sick, and im hoping this will all cost less than the price of the G-Tech G-Raid (which doesnt support JBOD or Raid1)

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

There's the "IOMEGA ULTRAMAX" but this comes with the HDDs..

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I have one of these:

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/RS-M2QO.html

and it works well except that in JBOD mode it won't sleep when the Mac sleeps. In RAID modes, it will.

The manufacturer (Onnto) I believe is a Taiwan company, so it's likely that the device can be had world-wide.

Apart from the no-sleep issue, I've been completely satisfied.

5. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member

to follow up:

i just ordered the Cremax ICY DOCK MB662UEAB-2S FW800

And

2 x HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330

I will be setting this up as two "independent" drives A and B. And using (A) drive to store my files and the other (B) to back (A) up.

From my research this is more reliable than a RAID-1 Setup. And seeing as i dont really care about the speed of recovery the way a server technician might this backup strategy gives me more reliability (lower chance of both drives failing), plus i get more free space, as I can use any leftover space on the backup drive (B) to store "non-critical data".

This is essentially a more convenient solution to the classic "fool-proof" backup solution of having two separate external disks/enclosures. I run a slightly greater risk of enclosure meltdown destroying everything (plus i cant take one disk off site, but i would never do that with 2 separate enclosures anyway).

I will also be storing all the SUPER critical data on "BOTH" my G-Drive mini 500GB (which is plenty for me as i only consider my docs/itunes lib and pics library as CRITICAL and all that comes to less than 100GB) AND on Crashplan Central.

I see this new setup as more of an expansion of hard drive space than a pure backup strategy; but personally i feel it will be just as reliable, if not more than, a RAID1 setup, i was initially considering.