Help -need exact admin name

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by natureflow, Apr 17, 2018.

1. natureflow macrumors newbie

natureflow

Hello to you all!

A couple months ago, I attempted to change my username on my macbook. In the midst of finishing the username, I guess I accidentally pressed return, and made my username not fully complete.

When I attempted to put in the half username - it would not accept it. There was some strange symbol in it, that I thought was this character ' - but it doesn't work (see attached pictures). In the beginning it was fine, but now it's getting annoying as I cannot install anything.

I have tried the following
    going to terminal typing whoami
    when i use this username - it does not work

I have tried to copy the username looking in the users area
    still does not work!

I know my password but can't get my exact username to login. My short question is - HOW DO I GET THE EXACT SPELLING OF MY USERNAME so I can CUT AND COPY IT

I'M DESPERATE...PLEASE & THANK YOU

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 2.01.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 2.01.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 2.01.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 2.01.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 2.01.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 2.01.41 PM.png

2. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

It looks like you do not have administrator access in your account any longer, due to you changing your username, so no matter what username and password combination you use, it won't work for admin rights. To fix this, you'll need to create a new administrator account. Instructions for this can be found here.

After doing this, your computer will restart and you'll be taken into Setup Assistant, which will walk you through setting up your computer and a new account. Once you finish the process, you should be able to manage the computer under this new admin account, and grant admin rights back to your original account through System Preferences » Users & Groups.

3. natureflow thread starter macrumors newbie

natureflow

Thank you for the response. Will this method effect the data on my computer?

4. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

No, your current home folder and other data should not be changed, as long as the commands are entered exactly as they appear. It will take you back to the screen your computer showed when you first turned it on, and will take you through the initial setup, but your data will still be there when you go to get back into your existing account.