Help! Need feedback to counter AASP technician claim

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by procyonx86, Jun 12, 2009.

?

Does your keyboard vibrate at fan speeds higher than 2000 RPM?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    97.2%
  3. Just the 'tab' key

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. procyonx86 macrumors member

Hi guys,

First of all, some background on my MBP so far: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=706581&highlight=keyboard+key+vibrate

Updates: now the damn key vibrates even at 2500 RPM, and a firm press on the key confirms that it's not loose, since I can still feel it vibrating. I feel no such sensation from any other key, at any fan speed.

Now, the AASP technician is claiming that "all unibody MBPs have vibrating keyboards". Since nobody else I know has a uMBP, I am at a loss as to how to prove him wrong, since he has probably tried all the display MBPs at his store.

I for one can't believe that a $2000 machine could have a flaw as pathetic as a vibrating keyboard. My old $900 Compaq laptop didn't. My old $1300 Macbook didn't. It's most likely just an excuse to get me off his back, but I can't really disprove his claims, especially if all his display MBPs exhibit vibrating keyboards.

Could you please help me confirm who is right in this case? Are uMBP keyboards really that lame? Do your MBP keyboards vibrate at any RPM higher than 2000?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'd also appreciate further comments/feedback, if you can spare the time. Again, thanks!

2. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

nope mine doesnt vibrate at all especially not like how you mention it.

3. bphillips macrumors regular

Just got my uMBP over 2 weeks ago.

No vibration whatsoever.

Call Apple Customer Relations, maybe?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, my keyboard does not vibrate, I have a 7200rpm 500 gig drive, and when I blast the fans on high speed I feel no vibration. Neither the fans nor the HD affect my keyboard.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the keyboard should not vibrate,

when one of those technicians make a stupid call like this one. go to another technician or call applecare and open a new case for the problem and do not let them close the case until they take care of it.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Keyboards should not vibrate on laptops. End of story.

Ask for a Manager. "That's normal" is not acceptable.

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

NO Vibration on mine.

What is the phone number for the AASP?

Maybe if he gets hundreds of phone calls telling him Keyboards do not vibrate he'll change his story! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just Kidding about posting the phone number!!!

8. procyonx86 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys, it means a lot to me. Dealing with people using underhanded methods to shake off responsibility is sometimes stressful enough to make me question my own sanity. Really, the guy was talking so calm and smoothly, I was beginning to think that I was the jerk making a big deal out of nothing.

I'd talk to the manager if it wasn't for the fact that the ****** was the one who told me before, "No, sir, you must leave your MBP at the AASP until the replacement parts arrive. Under no circumstances may you take the MBP until we're done with it." Just like that, poof went 2 weeks of work. (Identifying problem and ordering replacement part: 1-2 days. Waiting for part to arrive: 7-10 days)

As for calling Customer Relations, I'm still finding out how to do that without blowing $70++ for an international call. In the meantime, I'm going to let this poll hit at least 20 people before I march into their office and rub it in their faces.

So... thanks for those of you who have voted! I O U guys one :)

For those who haven't voted, please do so! It's not every day you get to participate in sticking it to irresponsible, greedy businesses -- and just by clicking a bit, too! :D:cool:

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  10. procyonx86 thread starter macrumors member

Seriously, the tech guy kept telling me that it was normal, to the point where I started to doubt myself. He wasn't saying it explicitly, but everything he said was oozing with a "geez it's just a vibrating key why doncha shutup and take it like a MAN" attitude.

Guys, please vote! I need it to show to the technician what kind of nonsense he's been spouting, and maybe to his manager, too. Besides, don't you want to take your part in making history? :D These guys are the only game in town (well, country, to be exact), so they're not used to being beaten back by a customer. Time to change that, I say :cool:

11. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

12. procyonx86 thread starter macrumors member

Please, anyone, I've searched the forums, the web, and I still can't figure out which number to call. From what I read, I'm supposed to contact Apple Customer Service. But which customer service are we talking about here?

Apple Store Customer Service? (But I didn't purchase my MBP from the Online Store)
    Apple Technical Support? (I'm past the 90 days complimentary phone support period)
    Apple Asia? (I'm in Asia, but most ppl are telling me to contact the US office)
    The AppleCare division? (I don't have AppleCare for the MBP)

Is there some other number I'm not aware of? Please help, I only have one shot at an international call; miss it, and I'll have to wait a couple more weeks before I can try again.

Please.

13. amoda macrumors 6502a

You can call Apple Technical Support if you're still within your 1 year warranty.

90 days is if it's related to software help. Just tell them it's a hardware issue and you won't pay for the session (other than long distance fees.)

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'd call AppleCare. You have AppleCare for a year from purchase, and you're less than a year in. Give it a try.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've never seen the option for a vibrating keyboard. :p

OP, the tech is pulling your leg. No such thing as a normal vibrating keyboard -- at least on a computer product.

If it is within 1 year of purchase, I would go the AppleCare route.

Also, you mentioned an international call. You might want to check other resources in country.

16. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

You just saved yourself a bunch of money if you have a girlfriend and she isn't satisfied with what you can give her.

I say keep it.

Just kidding, hahaha!

17. procyonx86 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys. Fortunately, in the end I was contacted by Apple Asia, so now my case is being looked at seriously.

Anyway, things are starting to look up. The AASP has finally acknowledged the possibility of a top case/fan failure, and is prepared to file a claim to Apple Asia for replacement parts. I'm starting to think I got a lemon; besides the fan-related problems, I've just found that my uMBP also has a very violent Superdrive. The display unit at the AASP shook only during the initial spin-up, then was dead silent, but I can't base my judgement from one unit alone. Is it normal for the Superdrive to keep shaking the laptop after its initial spin-up of a disc? Could this be related to a faulty (deformed, poorly constructed) top case?

It seems that I should have made better use of the so-called Hanlon's Razor. It appears that the technician truly had no previous knowledge of unibody macs, so in his ignorance he claimed that they all had vibrating keyboards. In fact, I now know that I knew more about the internals of a uMBP than he did.

I'll post again about how it goes.

@spaceboots06:
    And risk something like this happening to my uMBP? No thanks :D