HELP! Need help finding an app to tag/categorize PDF files!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by blg123, Sep 7, 2010.

1. blg123 macrumors member

Please help - need to find an iPad app ASAP that has the ability to tag and/or categorize PDF files from within the app itself. I'm essentially looking for an easy way to be able to view these business-related PDF files multiple ways:

> By Capability
    > By Customer
    > By Business Unit
    > By various tags that can be given to each file within the app
    > etc.

With iBooks, you have to do the categorization using iTunes, and I don't want that (it's also limited to only 1 category per document).

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!

2. blg123 thread starter macrumors member

3. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

GoodReader has filesystem within the app so you can arrange the files within or via wifi from computer. Also you can use Dropbox to create your file structure and store your files in the "cloud" so you can syc between your computer and iPad. GoodReader can access your Dropbox account, Mobile Me, email, FTP, NAS. The app can read PDF's and Office apps. You can also open other apps within GR too.

it doesn't have tagging but can Star.

4. blg123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I've been using GoodReader, but I'm really looking for something that's more dynamic. Almost like what you can do with tasks within "Todo for iPad" or "Things", but instead of tasks, I want to be able to tag the metadata associated with the PDF files, then be able to view the files by those tags.

From the lack of responses to my question, it sounds like there might be an opportunity for a developer to create an app for this, if one truly does not already exist.

Anyone else know of anything that I could use?

Thanks again.

5. defender macrumors member

defender

I use evernote for tagging and sorting my pdf files. It works well on iPad as well as on Mac.

6. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Evernote is an awesome program. I've been using it on the PC/iPhone for more than a year now. I had an iPad for a week and used Evernote on that too. It was a very cool version. I loved the folders/tags/large screen etc.

7. blg123 thread starter macrumors member

Defender,

How do you attach files in Evernote? I have version 1.11.0 (99371) on my Mac (latest version), but I don't see the ability to attach a file. I do see that on the web version of Evernote. I also don't see the ability to attach files on the iPad version.

Thanks - I'm anxious to hear more.

8. defender macrumors member

defender

Just drag a PDF onto the evernote icon in the dock or into a notebook on the main evernote screen. I also find it very useful for saving useful webpages as PDF files for permanent archiving, to do this just right click on the page in Safari and 'Add Page to Evernote as PDF'.

9. blg123 thread starter macrumors member