Help need MacBook Pro firmware restoration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weemanpow3, Jun 8, 2008.

1. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I downloaded Fan Control 1.2 and I used it for a day and didn't like how it worked and I uninstalled it according to the readme file and now my fan speeds don't change anymore. When Im playing games and or doing editing stuff my mac gets really hot and the fans don't increase. The fans worked before I installed the program. I heard from a review after some research that the program disables speedstep in the firmware. Is their a way that I can revert to default firmware.

2. weemanpow3 thread starter macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

3. ipm macrumors newbie

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

SpeedStep has about as much to do with your fan controller as your battery does.

The thing you want to fix is the SMC, not strictly the EFI itself (which is what a firmware restore disk will do). Did you reset it per the directions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

Did you remember to remove ALL the files the uninstaller mentions AND quit the daemon (either kill it or restart the system to clear it)? When people think FanControl screwed up their firmware, it's usually because they forgot to exit and uninstall the controller daemon. Resetting the SMC isn't actually necessary, it's just a precaution.