Help! Need Opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrappleful, Jul 18, 2013.

1. mrappleful macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2013
    I am possibly getting a new Mac notebook and have decided to get a pro. I decided 13" was the way to go, but my question is should i get retina? The retina display is $300 more. I am not a designer, i will use it for school and for social networking. Please Help!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    You will obviously get a lot of different opinions, but here is mine
    A retina display is very nice, but not essential for your use
  3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

May 6, 2012
    Spaceball One
    You wouldn't need a retina display, but i suppose I could say that for nearly everybody. Depends mostly if you want to upgrade the RAM or storage in the future, with the retina you cannot upgrade but with a classic (non retina) MBP you can upgrade the hard drive and RAM (to a certain point).
  4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

Jul 19, 2010
    The display really is nice, but you should keep in mind that the retina model doesn't have an optical drive and is also not upgradeable; however you purchase the computer from Apple will be how it stays until you get a new one. However, also note that the retina model has an amazing screen, is quite a bit thinner and has a new air intake system for better ventilation.
  5. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2012
    I would say in your situation, it would be personal preference (since you don't need it).

Have you checked out the retina display vs the non-retina? I would recommend hitting up the Apple store or best buy. The extra $300 are worth it only if you feel that way.
  6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    +1 -- Check them out in person to assess the difference in the displays.