Help! Need Reasons for upgrade from 1.1.4 to 2.1?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwang1228, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jwang1228 macrumors newbie

After having so many problems wiith my 2g 9gb and having my phone replaced twice from apple store with 2.0 lag/drop calls and apple boot screen of death, I decided to keep 1.1.4. Would appreciate if people could give me some insight so far on the upgrade, and what POSITIVE and NEGATIVE points for a update could be? Thanks, I was reading thru the other thread but its nearing 60 pages.

SHOULD I KEEP 1.1.4 FIRMWARE FOR STABILITY?

2. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Good God, all that has been posted on this forum for the last 36 hrs are 2.1 features and stability. Do you have to be spoon-fed everything?

3. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Go for it, 2.1 is where it should have been from day 1!

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

You want someone here to hand type you a Cliff's Notes version of the forum because you don't want to read it for yourself?

If you're really that lazy, I can assure you upgrading to 2.1 is not for you. You have to click "OK" several times to install the latest iTunes, and download the firmware, and install it. That's an awful lot of clicking. Plus it takes like 20 minutes. Who has that kind of time? Do you have a friend who could come do the clicking for you?

Then once you have 2.1, there's the whole question of which apps to buy, how to use them. You probably don't want to go there...more reading involved.

Better play it safe and stick with 1.1.4. You can use the energy you save to dial Dominos.

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

2.1 is great. Pwn it and do a restore. Best firmware yet.

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I'll give you a real, honest answer. It depends.

What I mean is, if you feel you have no need for 3rd party apps available in the app store (take a look using iTunes and see if there's anything in there that you like), or that you feel that push calendars, contacts and email aren't useful to you, then there isn't much then that would compel you to update.

2.1 is much, much better than 2.0.x, so you may now disregard virtually all the problems people have been having with the 2.0 release.

I agree that 1.1.4 on the original iPhone is a very solid, reliable release. Setting up Fetch for mail is nearly the same as Push for mail, so you might be covered there. But being able to sync your iCal and contacts over-the-air is very handy, especially if you're going to be away from your computer for any length of time, or if you have someone else entering appointments for you from another location.

I'd say, IMHO, that most of the currently available 3rd party apps are junk. However, there are some very good games and utilities that I find quite useful. DataCase is an app that lets you mount your iPhone wirelessly via wifi to your Mac (or PC) and store files on it, which you can then view on the iPhone. There are some useful restaurant guides I like, and the mobile eBay client is much easier to use than the eBay website on the iPhone's little screen. I have an RPN calculator that I like, and even the built-in calculator now supports several "scientific" functions (sqr root, trig functions, log, radians, etc.). And if you've got remote speakers like with an AirPort Express or an AppleTV, Apple's Remote app is super! There's several very good games as well, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Personally, I like the version 2 software - especially now since 2.1 is what 2.0 should have been. But if you've got no real interest in these new features, then stay on 1.1.4 - its very stable and fast.

7. View macrumors regular

To me, 2.1 is almost the 1.1.4 of the 2.0 world!
    It's fast and stable plus all the (mostly free) useful apps. Apps are so useful and awesome!
    I do agree that 2.1 should have been the 2.0. and the 2.0 was supposed to be the beta version...

8. jwang1228 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

To those who think I havent been doin my research, I'm glad you guys felt the need to post useless comments. I have done extensive research ever since 2.0. I encountered many different problems, and have found answers to all of them. I have read the 52 page thread, the first 14 of which was all saying "Downloading now!". Get a life if you cant be helpful. The point of me posting this thread was hoping A) someone in a similar situation may want to know or have just upgraded B) maybe someone will feel the need to speak up on why I shouldnt upgrade.

Here is what I knew from reading:
    Dropped calls when 3g switches with edge, doesnt pertain to me cause I have a 2g.
    Louder speaker
    Safari still freezes for some
    Apps load faster
    Texts can scroll up, less keyboad lag, takes longer to load
    Someone mentioned acessing a portion of settings takes you back to home, which i have encountered before BUT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE CONSISTENT WHICH I WORRY SO I HOPED SOMEONE WOULD BRING IT OUT

What I dont know is, what problems still persist other than the ones that seem to be common. My apple 1 year warranty is almost up and if Im gonna encounter problems I might as well keep the phone not too fancy. Sorry for ruining your day with this post. Sorry for caring about my phone. Sorry for wasting your forum space and forcing you to post and respond to this post.

9. UberDy macrumors newbie

Boo hooo hooo. Come on now.

2.1 is great software, it has gotten very good reviews. If you are buying such an advanced product as this, and want to live with the original...maybe its not for you. Honestly now. It's not like the phone now eats your soul or anything.......

Or does it :eek::apple:

10. jwang1228 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt enjoy the 8-10 trips that I had to drive to the apple store, each trip taking 1 hour just to get there when my phone is dead because they gave me a crappy refurb and then made me make an appointment that was half a week later just so they can look at it for 5 min and immediately replace it.

If you dont wanna help, fine dont post. I kindly asked for some opinions on the matter. Dont make it look like I dont need the help. Glad you can see the tears streaming down my face. At least I got some helpful answers.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'll tell you my experience. I was a BIG proponent of 1.1.4 and wasn't even gonna upgrade till a week later after 2.1 but i bought some apps/games that i wanted to play so i took the risk and upgraded. I'll be honest its still not quite up to 1.1.4 standards maybe 1.1.2/1.1.3 i.e. its very very usable but its not FULLY stable. Some things still jerk/aren't smooth (portrait to landscape transitions) but they are far far better than 2.0.x

Usually by now i would have downgraded back to 1.1.4 but its been 48+ hrs now and i'm still going strong. Apps don't crash, contacts lag is...not perfect but waaay better (2 secs max (usually 1) as opposed to 4 previously), SMS keyboard hasnt lagged for me at all (although if you have a lot of SMS conversations it takes a second to load them and thats it). iPod no longer skips whilst you're doing something else. Genius is pretty good

Overall im happy because i know 2.1.1/2.1.2 will put it at 1.1.4 level. However overall 2.1 has been a very good update i'd give it A-. If you're very paranoid about it you can use Dev Teams Bootneuter to Neuter your baseband before upgrading that way downgrading to 1.1.4 should be more possible even though somewhat difficult.

NB this are my own experiences with 2.1 YMMV but given the overall positive reports i'd say it probably will be yours too

12. icewing macrumors 6502

I was lucky and had very good experiences with 2.0.2. After upgrading to 2.1 the keyboard lag is gone, and contacts load and are accessible much faster. Also my battery life seems to have improved tremendously. The only problem I've noticed is that the sounds in Toy Bot Diaries are way overblown and sound like distorted explosions, hope they get a fix out soon.

My backups were originially 30-120 mins on 2.0.2, until I deleted my backups and deleted some apps that I had downloaded directly to the phone. After that my backups were typically about 5 mins. Now the backup and sync with Outlook Contacts (528) and Calendar takes about 2 minutes total.

Also when I plug in my phone, I sometimes get an error in XP that says iTunes can't access my phone because it's locked with a passcode, even though it isn't. I simply wake up the phone, unplug and plug it back in and it works fine.

13. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

The "Genius" feature in 2.1 iTunes is INCREDIBLE !!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

(honestly, if I was you and I had the original iPhone and have had a very stable system with zero problems, I would not risk it with an upgrade. Enjoy 1.1.4, and when a day eventually comes that you want a 3G iPhone, then you can make the transition)

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Seriously, if you are happy with 1.1.4 and don't want the new features, keep it. If it ain't broke... :D But if you do want the new stuff, go ahead and update to 2.1. My wife's 2G experienced the same issues (to a lesser degree, not enough to bother her) as everyone else after going to 2.x. With 2.1 she is rock solid. The 2G did not drop calls as that was a feature of 3G.