Help! Need some advice

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Lexical, May 2, 2017.

1. Lexical macrumors regular

Ok so I have a bit of a smartwatch conundrum and I would appreciate some guidance through the quagmire!

Firstly my budget is about £250, that’s all I think a smartwatch is worth and I’m fine with going second hand. Secondly I’m obviously an iPhone user or I wouldn’t be here! Secondly, what I want out of it… Well I’m not massively into fitness but I would like it to track my gym workouts and walking/running. I don’t go hiking or anything so I don’t care about GPS really. I’m not all that bothered about Apple Pay and I’m not bothered about replying to notifications on my wrist or using the thing as a phone because I think that’s ridiculous. Essentially for me all I want is a watch… Which has some bonus smart uses along with it. (Hence why I think I set my budget quite low).

So… Apple Watch. I’ve tried it twice in the past and ended up returning it. I think its overpriced for what it is and I still think it looks a bit naff, but it does have the best integration with the iPhone clearly. I have noticed a few Series 0’s on ebay brand new which are Stainless Steel and modern buckle / classic buckle bands which I think probably look the least naff. Or I could go with a plain Alu series 1 for that kind of money. (Im 38mm btw). Or I could go super cheap and get a plain series 0 off ebay for about £150.

What would you guys recommend? For my uses, would a series 1 plan bog standard one really be worth it over a stainless modern buckle series 0 for about the same price? Isnt the series 1 just a bit faster? For me im a bit more about style over substance.

Second option is… A Gear S2 classic.

I bought a gear s3 classic and used it with the iPhone for a few days. I loved the design, which I think is way better than the AW. Problem was it was just too big for my wrists. The S2 Classic is smaller though and only about £200 new. I know the functionality is limited but for what I want it for it is fine. Yeah you cant answer calls or reply to messages and there aren’t really any apps… But I don’t really care about that. I mean who wants to look at twitter on a watch? Get your phone out for that.

Anyway, ill stop rambling! Just would appreciate some input!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Those are your only options.

Sounds like you need to go cheap on eBay but remember that you can not return it so easy.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would consider a Series One Apple Watch, likely because will be supported longer over the first generation Apple Watch. But I do have an appreciation for the stainless steel casing for the first generation Apple Watch. Also, in terms of power, the Series one has a much more efficient processor.

But if you really want style, I do like the stainless steel casing over the aluminum and it's more than capable enough of handling the tasks Series one offers, it's just not as powerful. I would still be willing to believe that the first generation Apple Watch will be supported to watchOS four. Also, for style, pairing the stainless steel watch with bands has many possibilities.