HELP -Need to check iMac screen before i tansfer my info... how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smittay, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Smittay macrumors member

hey guys,

thanks for all your help. whenever i have a question you guys are great.

well here's the deal. i had a 24inch iMac aluminum and the screen had blotches in it... i found this out after i transferred all 80GB (5 hours of my information).

well my replacement is here. I dont want to transfer all 80gb of my powerbook until i ensure the screen doesn't have white blotches in the corners.

how do i turn it on and check this out (in front row) and just by booting up and then transfer my info. sorry if its a stupid question, im just used to transferring my info as soon as i boot up the new iMac.

is there a way i can check the screen and THEN transfer all my info if the screen checks out? i also don't want to have to wait 8 hours for it to zero out and erase all my data before i ship the mac back to apple again, that took forever.

someone mentioned migration assistant at my work-- is this going to be the same as if i just transferred it from the beginning prompt screen when i turn my new imac on? are there directions? are there different ways and settings?

what should i do? the new imac has leopard and my powerbook has tiger. what settings should i put it on to transfer everything? sorry for being obsessive, i just dont know how to do it :)

thanks guys
    smitt

2. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

im just nervous im going to screw this up somehow.

i almost just want to transfer all my files as soon as i turn the new mac on.

will i be able to get the same result if i use migration assistant?

will the licenses and settings transfer alright?

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I'm pretty sure you can run migration assistant from your applications folder after booting up and checking everything out.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yeah, just start it up like new. Check it, then use Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder to move your data if everything is fine.

5. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

so should i create a user to check the black background in Front Row and a desktop and everything?

then open up utilities and transfer everything?

will it make the user account that i create to check everything out the admin? i can always change that right?

thanks
    smitt