HELP need to connect old equipment and new/old mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fro10987, Jul 11, 2007.

1. fro10987 macrumors newbie

I need help.
    I have a G3 running OS 9 that is used for the sole purpose of running a RIP program for a AGFA imagesetter the software requires a "security dongle" to be plugged in line or at least plugged in to the port that the "old style" mouse or keyboard plugged in to, this is a 4-pin DIN connection unlike the new PS2 type of plugs that are usually 6-pin DIN. All works well just so happens that I also have a G4 running OSX that I do also run Quark on. I would like to be able to use the G4 to operate the AGFA and free up the deskspace that the G3 is using up however I am having trouble finding a way to connect the ever so important security dongle to the G4 as I can not seem to find a adapter for the 4-pin or even a PCI card for the 4-pin. If anyone can tell me what this port/plug is called it would help also.

Another option I would entertain is connecting the G3 to a small home WIN XP network that conatins 2 XP comps , G4~OSX and the G3 ~OS9 any help here would be appreciated also.

I am not really looking to buy more software to make ying work with yang.

Thaks for any and all help

2. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

On older Macintoshes the mouse and keyboard would connect to the ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) Port. I believe there are ADB to USB adapters avalible.:apple:
    Or it could be the old Mac Serial ports which look quite similar.:)
    The attached pics are of ADB Ports.

Attached Files: