help! need to determine WEP password for wireless connection!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Oats, May 14, 2007.

1. Oats macrumors regular

i set up a wireless router for my sister a while back, and she has forgotten the WEP password. we want to set up another computer, but now don't remember what the password is. her current laptop is still connected to the network, she is running OS X 10.4.

when i open the "internet connect" control panel, i can't find the location where i originally entered the password! how can i determine what the code was? is it stored in a file somewhere?
    thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What type of router is it? You should be able to reset the router from the back of it, depending on the router she's using.

3. dkirlew macrumors member

Something similar happened to me a couple days ago. My Netgear router didn't accept the password I gave it. I reset the router and set it up again and it worked perfectly.

4. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

i don't really want to reset the router... is there any way to check what the password is from the existing wireless configuration on the mac?

5. volvoben macrumors 6502

I know of no way to find a password stored on the computer itself, and resetting is likely the best option. Sometimes it takes a few tries (my netgear took 15 tries last time), but really it's not exactly a tough process to set it back up (what, 10 minutes tops?).

On a side note, if the computer and router are capable of WPA, always use it over WEP. WEP passwords are apparently rather easy to sniff out, and when I helped a friend modify the settings on her router which had been set to WEP in an urban area I noticed 3 other computers connected, including another router (probably shielding someone else's entire home network who were leeching internet). With WPA2 she has yet to log anyone's MAC address except her own.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Its in Keychain Access. Find your network name, click on it, select show password, enter admin password.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Try checking the Keychain for the password. I have retrieved wireless passwords from there for others on a few different occasions. This is assuming that you chose to store it there, which I again assume is the case otherwise it would have to be typed in each time the wireless network was accessed and it.

<EDIT>
    Wow it took me along time to post that, no wonder someone beet me to it.