Help! Need to discuss advantage of MAC over LENOVO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starfruit4463, Mar 24, 2008.

1. starfruit4463 macrumors newbie

I am being asked to think of objective reasons why it makes more sense to go with a Macbook Pro (I was thinking 4gb RAM, 250GB hd, 2.6ghz, 15" Matte) over the Lenovo T61(15") (or the next generation of this laptop). This is for college, and I need objective reasons, not subjective. Yes, I know Macs are much more stylish and easier to use and Steve Jobs can rock a black mock turtleneck like no other, but such reasons will not work.

I will be using the computer for Computer Science and will do extensive graphic work, perhaps even switching majors to Computer Arts and graphics.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated in my quest to prove not all computers are equal, even through their stats.

2. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

You can run all three major operating systems on a mac where as you can't on a lenovo.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Is having OS X a benefit to you? If so, then buy it. If not, then get the Thinkpad.

4. mstens macrumors member

In either case order the RAM 3rd party and install it yourself. Both companies want the same $$ for ram upgrades.. about $300 more than crucial et al.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If only we could end the thread here, rather than let it repeat itself for 40 more posts while cycling back to the above conclusion on each page!

6. asmallchild macrumors regular

7. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I think that goes under his unwanted subjective opinions ;)

I bought my MBP for these reasons:

1. All my stuff was mac before
    2. Wanted OS X because XP I fell just sucks in the file structuring and vista just sucks end of.
    3. Design - lightest/smallest for the power

:)

If your a student who will be using XP alot of the time for studies, probably makes sense to get the PC. If you want to retreat to OS X when your done for the ease of life then get the MBP.

8. starfruit4463 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am getting a Mac, that's for certain. I hate anything else. However, to obtain help with funds, I need legitimate reasons for purchasing the Mac.

9. asmallchild macrumors regular

Get a Macbook if money is an issue

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Software/looks aside, a macbook pro is no different than any other pc.

Ability to run OS X (legally at least) is the only difference.

Sounds like you're trying to convince the parentals that a mac is good for you.

11. pionata macrumors 6502

Lenovo? What's that?
    Case closed... lol

Bah anyway, go for the Lenovo if you want, I'll stay with my MBP. The MBP is quality, Levono look like any pc plastic laptop with stickers all over it and a ugly design.

12. DaveF macrumors 6502a

What's used by faculty for coursework? Are the CS classes taught using Microsoft tools (e.g. Visual C++) or on Unix systems? Is there any recommendation from the college itself on preferred system? What software is needed, if any?

Otherwise, the big thing is that the Lenovo can't run OS X. The MacBook Pro can. And OS X is widely regarded as a better, easier to use operating system. And it will also run Windows if that becomes a need for your classes.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you are thinking of switching majors to Computer Arts and graphics, take a look at the applications and machines they tend to use.

A actual walk through the school's graphics computer lab and talking to the students may help you with the decision.