Help! Need to from iOS 7 back to iOS 6.1.4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Sneakerp, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Sneakerp macrumors member

Help me experts! I updated to GM 7, but I'm going into Apple tomorrow to swap out my iPhone 5.

How do I downgrade from GM 7 back to iOS 6.1.4?

Thank you!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Plug your phone into iTunes and click Restore.

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Worst case 6.1.4 is still signed so you can simply download it from Apple for your device (you can find the direct download links all over) and then do a Option + Restore click (OSX... I think it's shift in Windows but not 100%) and choose the file you downloaded.

KEEP IN MIND: You cannot restore a backup from iOS 7 to iOS 6.1.4. So your iCloud stuff will come back fine, but your local stored stuff cannot go back.

So if you have pics, etc, you want to save make sure you either:
    a) Copy them to the computer first
    b) Update your replacement phone to iOS 7 and restore your previous backup

Before I restore, since I tend to like fresh installs out of habit, I always use Preview in OSX to copy all my pictures to my Macbook Pro so my paranoia of losing them is taken care of.

Best of luck.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Same thing here. Mine is a hardware issue (lightning port of my iPhone 5 is loose). Taking it in to Genius bar tomorrow to see if they'll swap it out.

I am going to restore my phone, currently on the iOS 7 GM, which will restore it back to 6.1.4. Since I don't need anything on my phone, I will just leave it in the pre-set up stage to take it and have it looked at. If they can fix it, great. If not, hopefully they will swap it out. In this case, I will take it back home after, restore it to the iOS 7 GM, and then reload everything from my iCloud backup.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I really hope Apple keeps the signing window for 6.1.4 open for a good long time. There will be many people/businesses who have mission-critical apps broken in iOS 7 who might need to go back until updates are released.

6. Sneakerp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your help. Repped.

I backed up my phone (w/o icloud) with 6.1.4 before I did the update to GM 7. There hasn't been any changes.

When I go back to the previous iOS, I don't plan on restoring my music, photos, etc. Just leaving going to leave it stock because I'm going to swap at my genius appointment.

After I swap and come back and restore my iPhone from the latest back up w/ 6.1.4. Will everything come back? music, apps, pics, etc.

The next thing will be putting iOS 7 back on, which I already know how to do.