Help - need to know if this will work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lec the Vec, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Lec the Vec macrumors newbie

Someone stole my computer and I managed to get it back. The computer has a new password, and I'm in an area that doesn't have an Apple Store. I looked online and found tips for resetting the password which don't require a disk, which I don't have- it's in the States.

Anyway, the tips are:
    1. Hold Down Apple+S while booting computer
    2. Type: sh /etc/rc
    3. Type: passwd root (if that doesn’t work try admin or administrator instead of root)
    4. Enter in new password and confirm
    5. Type: reboot

I'm curious as to whether or not they will work, and any responses are a definite help.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum- I looked for the one closest to my needs and I didn't really have time to check to make sure it was correct.

Thanks,
    -LtV

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Try this:

1. Cmd-s (aka 'Apple+s') when powering on computer and hold down until you get into single user mode.

2. fsck -fy

3. mount -uw /

4. launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist

5. Try 'passwd <your username>'

6. If no dice, then try this instead: 'dscl . -passwd /Users/<your username> <newpassword>' (where <your username> would be replaced by your actual username and <newpassword> would be replaced with the actual new password)

7. reboot

These steps should work for both Leopard and Snow Leopard, I think.

The way I'm reading this is it's your user account that had its password changed, so you'd need to reset it this way rather than root's password as it's not very common for anyone to directly login into OS X as root. 99% of people who needs root access on OS X would do so via sudo which requires your admin user's password.

Glad to hear you had a happy ending with your Mac.

3. Lec the Vec thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! (need clarification though)

I'm not sure how to do the "-fy" and "-uw". I'm new to using the terminal, so I really don't know ... anything. Also, when I type the "fsck" part, the terminal (or whatever I'm in when I hit apple+s) shuts down. It won't allow commands afterward.

It also says that "launchctl" is not a command.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and when I type the whole "system/library ... " thing, it tells me that access is denied. (or something along those lines, at least ... )

-LtV