HELP: Need to move iphone from one computer to another

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rydenfan, Mar 29, 2010.

1. rydenfan macrumors member

Guys, I need some help!!

When I originally got my iphone my primary computer was a Powerbook and now it is a Mac Mini. Whenever I try to sync my iphone to the Mini it says it is not the primary computer and it wants to delete all the apps on my phone. How do I switch over to the Mini without losing all of my apps?? Thanks in advance for the help :D

2. Jenkins12 macrumors member

You dont acually have to transfer them directly, if you don't want to. iTunes will allow you to download them again once you sign-in to the account that purchased them.

But, if you do want to move them directly, (on a mac) they are located at:

Users\[Username]\Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications

3. rydenfan thread starter macrumors member

I am just concerned about losing the data that is stored on the apps. For instance Awesome Note and mSecure has a bunch of information stored that I really do not want to lose. Thank you for the help and I will try that out.

I am signed into the same account on my Mini as on the Powerbook but everytime I try and sync the phone it says it will erase all apps from the phone.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Make sure you've authorized the new computer and you're signed in on your iTunes account.

Right click the iPhone in iTunes and backup the iPhone on the new computer.

Then right click on the the iPhone and transfer purchases. I don't think what the poster above said will work. Besides, it's not needed.

You should be able to sync everything now, except music and the other stuff that requires syncing (movies, pics, etc.). All you need to do is transfer your iTunes library over (preferable after consolidating it on the old computer) and you'll have your music, videos, etc. You can also copy your iPhoto library over to transfer the pics.

5. rydenfan thread starter macrumors member

That worked well, thank you! I actaully already have mu music on the mini so I should be all set.

Now will it transfer properly when I buy an app in the future? or will I need to do the transfer purchase everytime?