Help need to recover data from hard drive!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spooky mulder, Apr 23, 2008.

1. spooky mulder macrumors regular

My friend has a Powerbook g4 with a lot of wedding photos, child birth etc. on it and the computer took a dump. Won't turn on nothing. And when i pulled out the ram sticks it looked as if someone has tried to take the ram out with a screw driver. There are scratches all over the underlying board, and loose parts. As repair is probably not an option for my friend at this moment, I was just wondering if there was any way to take the hard drive out of dead powerbook and make it an external so i can upload the photos onto my computer and deal with them. If there is a solution for this, where could i buy an enclosure for the hard drive inside a powerbook g4, and how much would it cost?

Also just a few thoughts,

1: would I be able to get enclosure from FRY'S electronics or would I have to buy it online?

2: Does enclosure come with all connections, (usb, firewire, etc.)

3: How hard will this be to do, will I just put it all together and plug it into my intel macbook and be able to access powerbook g4 hard drive?

4: Will i need to know an administration password to access hard drive once it is hooked to my comp? ( she doesn't remember it)

Thanks in advance for the replies this is very urgent for my friend, thank you.

2. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Assuming the drive is ok and that something else caused the computer to go splat, you should be ok getting the data back.

1) you can buy an enclosure at most big electronics shops. dont know anything about frys..sorry. You could try www.newegg.com Many people on this board recommend them. You will need an IDE enclosure not a S-ATA. Some enclosures can deal with both.

2)It Depends on the enclosure. The cheaper ones will be usb, more for eSata and firewire.

3)It's not so hard. Its lucky you don't have an ibook! look here for detailed instructions. http://www.ifixit.com/ Just take your time and don't break anything.

4)Should be ok with this, I think you can just log in as root and get access to it. In finder click on the drive, 'get info' and give yourself permission.

good luck!

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

OP: Fry's does carry external drive cases IDE and SATA... Just make sure you get IDE case... Cost around $20

4. spooky mulder thread starter macrumors regular

hey thanks for the reply, i'll go to the store tomorrow and see if i can find one, so it should be just like accessing a flash drive, (click, open, view contents, etc.?) thanks again and sorry for the ignorance on this issue, never had to deal with this before..

thanks for the info. :D