help, need to reload Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by flabbergast, Aug 20, 2011.

1. flabbergast macrumors newbie

I cant find my previous post (maybe it is out there somewhere) so I deduce that I did something wrong.

With out the rant here, I am asking for help to remove Lion and reinstall Snow Leopard. I apparently do not have enough Ram to enjoy Lion, it appears that Lion has been eating up my meaningful stuff, like apps and the ability to use my apps.

Any techie out there that knows how? Based on some other data I have found,
    Snow Leopard will not work with Lion affected files, I hope that is not true.

This is horrible because I loved everything Mac before this happened...

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

3. flabbergast, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

flabbergast thread starter macrumors newbie

nope

Since I had the original Snow Leopard installation CD I did not think about it. I do have Time Machine, but have been afraid to do further damage> I did restore som photo files that were lost on another external drive, and the backup of those photos for Light Room went caput. Time Machine does not back up external drives. I assumed with IDisk that I had an online back up, but it was partial so I could only retrieve some of my photos.

Right now I am afraid to use anything else since everything crashes. I have removed extraneous files and that app crashed in the process.

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Can you put more ram in your machine?

If you can, that's going to be less hassle than trying to downgrade to Snow Leopard.

If you're willing to format and re-install (because you have all your needed data backed up), that would be the easiest route.

5. flabbergast thread starter macrumors newbie

A solution has worked

After spending hours with Apple support, I did go through a pretty hidden or secret solution. Now have snow leopard back and have found out that most of my apps that I use regularly take up lots of RAM (which i knew) and are not compatible with Lion which I was stunned to discover, but as a user of these apps I should have known. No need for Apple to warn me on that, right?

I have been told that it is up to the user to check out the apps websites to see if they are compatible with Lion before you change to Lion. A ha moment, not completely.

Lion is on all future new imacs ( i was focusing on IMAC only in this quest) and so if I buy a new computer with Ram overflowing, Lion is likely not compatible with many apps. Now, how good an idea is that?

6. techweenie macrumors member

Could you please share your secret solution? I tried initializing an external disk with the GUID (sp?) format required and then doing a fresh SL install and it will not boot my MBP.

I just wanted an alternate boot solution for those times when I (rarely) need expensive apps now broken under Lion.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

OP your posts are all over the place and not easy to understand. You might want to put a bit more thought in to the wording of your post prior to pressing the submit button.

8. flabbergast thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume this message is for me

What does OP your posts mean? I will be glad to oblige if I knew what you are trying to say, except for the part about thinking before submitting.

9. flabbergast thread starter macrumors newbie

Responding to a few of the posts in this thread, and thanks for your help

Yes that is the first thing that I looked into. That seemed not as much the issue when apple tech told me that that the photography apps I use were not likely compatible with Lion. The focus in my mind when upgrading was that the operating system was to be faster even with the limitations of my GB size.

Apple support advised that I would be fine with my configuration. Backup is certainly a must and is another portion of the problem. I do have 3 backup systems outside of time machine. I do admit to some user error in not understanding some of Lion's new formats regarding disk handling.

The strange things that were happening since I installed Lion were related to browser usage and crashes, app usage also resulting crashes or non response of the apps. The only answer for me was to uninstall Lion and revert to the operating system that allowed me to use my space and apps.

In my quest to do that I was shocked at the lack of instruction regarding reverting back to Snow Leopard, in the Mac community let alone Apple support. I had to talk to quite a few people before I found the help that I needed.

My only recourse was to either not be able to use my apps or to reformat my hard drive and boot back in with Snow Leopard.

I can not really believe I am the only person with these Lion issues, but perhaps I am just one of a very few that are willing or simple minded enough to admit it.

10. flabbergast thread starter macrumors newbie

The secret solution was to get a step by step instructions from Apple support, two of which did not result in success, on the basics of re formatting your hard drive while booting up with the Snow Leopard dvd with your finger on the option key and following the path to reloading Snow Leopard using disk utility to erase the hard drive. Of course this was done after two backups of all of my apps and files. Maybe most of you guys know how to do that easily but my brain is more attuned to using Photoshop and macro photography.

The path was easy to follow once you had the information on how to follow the brick road. Please excuse my attempt at humor.