Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carolbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
I have a 1st generation ipod (10g) and a new macbook pro. I don't have firewire on the macbook pro and need a cable that will work so I can transfer music from my old ipod onto my macbook. I have a 400/800 firewire adapter which connect fine to my ipod, but doesn't connect to my macbook. Any suggestions?

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
I have a 1st generation ipod (10g) and a new macbook pro. I don't have firewire on the macbook pro and need a cable that will work so I can transfer music from my old ipod onto my macbook. I have a 400/800 firewire adapter which connect fine to my ipod, but doesn't connect to my macbook. Any suggestions?

It is extremely illegal to rip music from your iPod to your Mac. I highly recommend that you cease this activity with immediate effect.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It is extremely illegal to rip music from your iPod to your Mac. I highly recommend that you cease this activity with immediate effect.

Not if you have purchased the music on it.

EDIT: OP, if your goal is just to get the music off, then you would either have to buy the converter, or find a friend with FW.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
umm...

Don't all MacBook Pros have firewire? The only recent Apple laptop without firewire, that I'm aware of, is the previous generation unibody MacBook.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Not if you have purchased the music on it.

The 'purchased' music will be on the Mac/PC the iPod was originally synced with. Apple do not allow iPod>>>Mac copying for a damn good reason.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
umm...

Don't all MacBook Pros have firewire? The only recent Apple laptop without firewire, that I'm aware of, is the previous generation unibody MacBook.

I'm assuming that the OP meant the uMB.

The 'purchased' music will be on the Mac/PC the iPod was originally synced with. Apple do not allow iPod>>>Mac copying for a damn good reason.

And if the HD crashed or the computer otherwise dies and you don't have a backup?

What makes it illegal? (name the law it violates)

carolbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
my music is purchased. I bought a new nano and want all of my music on 1 ipod. How much is a converter and where do I get one?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Connect it to a computer that has a firewire port, suck the songs off the ipod, then transfer the songs to your new macbook using your local network / internet / 2 burned dvds / whatever.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
I'm assuming that the OP meant the uMB.

And if the HD crashed or the computer otherwise dies and you don't have a backup?

What makes it illegal? (name the law it violates)

Section 501(a) of the Copyright Act. :rolleyes:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Section 501(a) of the Copyright Act. :rolleyes:

Except that it has been ruled that making digital copies for use on your device and on the computer is fair use. Otherwise, how can you take a CD and legally rip it to your computer - or are you saying that iTunes and a multitude of other media players out there blatantly violate copyright?

In the same vein, how can you have one copy on your computer and one on the iPod? By your standard, that's illegal.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If you have an iPod and your computer crashes and you lose your hard disk and then you get a new computer and use one of the availabe utilities such as senutil to copy your iPod back to your computer you are not violating any laws.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Clickfree is a flawless hardware solution.

Senuti snagged 80% of songs from an iPod Video.

To the copyright babysitters, shut the **** up.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008

That's rubbish, how is it illegal. You have every right to want to be able to recover what you have purchased.

AnDy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.