HELP neede with macbook air!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by reaper21, Aug 13, 2014.

1. reaper21, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

reaper21 macrumors newbie

Hi guys

So i got this mac from my friend who has relocated abroad. and the condition was that i remove all his files from mac before i even use it.

Its a macbook air mid 2013 purchased in june last year 11" screen

So i followed a you tube video to do this and erase disk right but that removed EVERYTHING including the operating system. now im a total stranger to mac and have NO idea how to use it I was gonna learn and teach myself.

Now after watching numerous videos on how to reinstall it I cant get it to work first off.

I go and click on reinstall and then on the last step wants apple ID. so i went and created one on website. BUT it tells me that i have never used that ID in the mac store. So i guess its something that was purchased with the laptop?

But now i have no way to contact my friend to get his mac ID and use that to fix the mac.

Is there ANY way anyone can please help me to get the os back or just so i can start using the laptop as it is urgent and i need the laptop for my brand new job im starting on monday so i dont have any money to take it in for the good people to fix it. im a windows guy a technician but no experience on any type of mac unfortunately.

Please i would appreciate any help i can get

regards

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

When it asks for the Apple ID, is there no option to skip it (i.e. do it later)? Then you could run the Mac App Store and enter your credit card and info to get running. Then, set up the Apple ID on the computer.

4. reaper21 thread starter macrumors newbie

No there is no option to skip that step.

5. yrh0413 macrumors newbie

make a trip to your nearest Apple store (physical shop), ask the staff there to assist you to setup an iCloud account.

As a kind gesture, buy an original lighting cable on your way out. :apple:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Take it to the Apple Store and have them reinstall the OS for you.

You don't have to buy anything for this service. Just be nice when asking.

7. quackers82 macrumors 6502

You switch the Mac off, hold down Command + R and turn it on holding down those buttons. It will then boot into recovery mode where you can select disk utilities, format the hard disk, and you can download the Mac OS from Apple and install fresh. Simples :

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you need to do is run Internet recovery to install the OS that came from the factory. Hold command-option-r (all three keys at once) as you boot. After you select your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads and starts. Then you will see this screen.

[​IMG]

From there start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab. Then select the drive brand name at the very top of the left column above Macintosh HD. Now select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the drop down to the right and apply the format changes.

Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS at the top. This will take a bit for the ~5GB OS to download and install. After the install is done it will restart and you will go through a system setup routine. You will not need an AppleID to do this.

This will get you back to nothing but the OS on there. Since this Mac came with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, that is what this install will get you. If you want after the install you can make yourself an AppleID in the App Store and get yourself the free OS X 10.9 Mavericks upgrade.

----------

The problem OP is having is Mavericks was installed over top of the original Mountain Lion, so now a command-r is booting from a Mavericks recovery partition and will not allow a reinstall without an AppleID that was used to "purchase" Mavericks. Doing a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery will bypass that local Mavericks recovery partition and get back to the original OS with no AppleID required.