Help Needed (-18 error)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by krateein, Oct 10, 2007.

1. krateein macrumors newbie

I am having some serious problems with my iPod Touch, It has been working fairly fine up until now, no major problems, but when I attempted to sync my iPod earlier it asked me to name my iPod (similar to when you very first sync), so I just pressed next (the name was already correct) but to my surprise it was informing me that I only had 256mb of memory in total, and that almost all of it was used up by 'other' I knew this was not good so I tried to restore the iPod and i got a 1602 error (which I had had before so I knew to restart my computer, it worked last time) but this time it was different, I've included screenshots of the restoration process

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has anyone experienced this? I tried the Apple support but it basically just said try another USB port (no difference), turn the iPod off and on again (typical tech support) or reinstall iTunes.

All this the day the iPod gets hacked, something I have been waiting ages for ... bloody typical

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Bad flash possibly. I've seen this happen with a first generation Nano.

3. gosling macrumors newbie

4. krateein thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i got it fixed

I must have navigated to the .TIFF used to hack the touch and 'bricked' it (not a full brick)

So if you bricked it (like me) with the tiff, here's how you force a restore. Holy the sleep and home button until your ipod turns off. Keep holding them until the apple logo appears, then release the sleep button, but keep holding the home button. This will force a restore in itunes, your ipod will then completely restore.

5. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

This wouldn't be a result of an attempted jailbreak, would it?

Edit: OP beat me to response.

6. krateein thread starter macrumors newbie

apparently it is, i didn't knowingly attempt to jailbreak it though, i was just browsing Toc2rta and must have accesed the TIFF somehow, at least it's fixed now, i was terrified, i thought i had thrown £270 down the drain

7. gosling macrumors newbie

I LOVE YOU

8. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

As I thought. The next few days should be interesting, with all of the users that attempt the exploit without understanding the process first.

9. krateein thread starter macrumors newbie

I aim to please xD

At least there is an easy way of restoring the iPod to the factory settings

10. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Even though I can say I know what I'm doing, I'm too reluctant to try it on my own just yet. I think I'll wait it out and see what Apple does with the next patch. If they leave it alone, I'll be sure to experiment.

11. krateein thread starter macrumors newbie

That's is what I am thinking, I'm pretty sure it won't take apple long to fix this exploit, it seems fairly simple.