Help needed about MBP purchase. Thank you

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvermacbook, Nov 19, 2012.

1. silvermacbook macrumors newbie

Hello I am wondering which is a better machine as i will be using it to run lots of multimedia programs.

A 2.66 ghz dualcore i7 2010 mbp with a 256ssd drive or a 2011 2.3ghz quad core i7?? Any help deciding would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time everyone one.

2. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Does the 2011 have an SSD? Nonetheless, go with the 2011, it's quad core and newer.

3. silvermacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

it does but i was lead to believe that a 2.66 dual core with ssd is more powerful?? is it true?

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The quad core will be more powerful than the dual core, and you can always upgrade to an SSD yourself. A 256GB should be under $200 these days.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Quad.

You can pop in a 256GB SSD for ~$150 (even cheaper on black friday) and keep the hard drive and put it in the optical bay or external...

P.S. I have this machine and it's awesome. I treat it as a desktop replacement when I get home and connect it to an Apple Cinema Display.

6. silvermacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for info. Do you ever edit video erc on it?

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yes, plenty of times. I use all the Adobe apps all the time.

Also put in 16GB of RAM, which helps. Feels like a desktop.

8. silvermacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Aw thanks, put my mind at ease. I was about to pay 1175 dollars for a i7 dual core 2.66 ghz 256ssd 4gig ram 2010 but saw a 2011 i7 quad core 2.3ghz 256ssd and 750hd with external DVD drive for like 1500 and thought better option. What you think of price fair??

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What are the screen specs?

Always check Apple Refurbs before buying used. It seems like there are better deals there. I would shoot for a hi-res screen and anti-glare, but that's up to you (That's what I have.)

Looks like you can get the 2012 MBP (non retina) for around that price....it's a much better deal, it has USB 3.0 and is Ivy Bridge vs Sandy Bridge from last year.

10. silvermacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Anti glare both only way to go. Not big glossy fan. Ya I looked and for price these seem better. Both have apple care to...

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi-res Anti-glare is a beauty. I do love the rMBP screen though, even though it's glossy.

These refurbs are pretty much new, but they don't come with the white box :)

12. silvermacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

But what kinda warranty do ya get with them from apple refurbed? As the quad I found on eBay has apple care til 2014 and the boasted ram etc.... Your making me think now :/ ya I really don't know why apple went retina glossy although it is great I think matte would have been fantastic

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You get the same warranty as you would if you purchased it new. 1 year from the date of purchase. And you can get Apple Care to extend it to 3 years.

The item having Apple Care is tempting since it costs around $250 alone.

Highly doubt Apple will go back to Anti-glare. It's just going to be glossy but get better and less glossy over time.

I like glossy for videos etc, but I can always see myself in it unless the room is dark. I used to have a 2008 Glossy MBP, got used to it, but still was weird to use.

14. silvermacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

I use glossy in iMac form but the reflection just strains my eyes so much. But must say you have stopped me in my tracks as. To what's the best option now thank you ha

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The eBay one sounds enticing since it has $250 worth of Apple care, but then again, it is now almost 2013 and that MBP has been used for over a year and you will only have 2 years of warranty left.

Things to reconsider. The refurb will be pretty much new, no scratches, grease, etc. I wouldn't pay $1500 for a used MBP from last year if I were you.