Help Needed [account problems]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Booger007, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Booger007 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone. First of all I have very limited experience with a OSX. What happened was a users account in a Windows domain would not log on due to a bad password ( They did not know you could reset the password with the install disc). The other tech created a new account, then copied all of the files from the old account to the new account. Then they deleted the old account. Then I was called in because of the problems. I have managed to change all of the permissions with get info and all of the files can now be saved and opened properly.

What I cannot seem to get accomplished is to allow the user to delete the files on the desktop they no longer need.

Would using disk utility\first aid help with this?

Any help would be appreciated.

This is a new job for me and there are a couple of MAC's here that it looks like I am going to have to support.

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

You could try and use Disk Utility to repair the permissions. I don't see why the new account would not be able to delete from its desktop, especially if its an admin account.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No. Repair Permissions doesn't descend into the /Users hierarchy unless there's a specific BOM file that tells it to do so (unlikely).

Just do this:

sudo chown -R username:group /Users/username

sudo chmod -R ug+wrX /Users/username

Replacing username with the user's short username and group with the group that the user is part of. For example:

sudo chown -R yellow:admin /Users/yellow
    sudo chmod -R ug+wrX /Users/yellow

Completing this will ensure that all folders and files in the user's hierarchy are owned by the user and the user's group, and read/write/traversable for said users & groups.