Help needed after trying to reset to factory settings

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by caseyhaff, May 12, 2019.

1. caseyhaff macrumors newbie

I am really hoping someone can help me with my problem - bearing in mind I am not really very clued up with hardware! Yesterday in my infinite wisdom I decided to reset my MacBook Air to its factory settings (I am in the process of selling it) and after following what I presumed to be straightforward instructions online I went into Disk Utilities to delete a folder (cannot remember which one I deleted). When I went back in to utilities to reinstall the software it shows that there is no disk! I have no idea what I have done, but nothing is working and I am slightly panicked. If someone can please help (or guide me) as to what I should do to try and get my system back up again I would really appreciate it.

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

3. caseyhaff thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, yes I have managed to get this far and have tried tried re-installing macOS but it said that I have no disk available? I then (after reading a similar thread on here which stated I need to erase and rename a disk) went into Disk Utilities to find the disks they mention but all I can see is this one (I have put a photo on below)- and for obvious reasons I am absolutely petrified to delete anything else given my recent attempt! Is this the correct file (I cannot see anything that says MacHD which all the threads I read refer to - I presume this is the one I have deleted?).

Attached Files:

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Erase container disk 2 and name it Mac HD, exit disk utility, and continue to install the os.

5. caseyhaff thread starter macrumors newbie

I have managed to do this at long last - thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it (after sitting here all morning trying to figure it out and wondering if my Mac was now obsolete!). ::) Never again will I attempt anything technical on my own!

6. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

That's great news :)

I find that I learn and remember more when I panic!