Help Needed - Anything to WORRY about? DISK Permissions (please read in)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hiimamac, Aug 29, 2009.

1. hiimamac macrumors 6502a

hiimamac

I just did a migration then ran this, was wondering what some of these meant... especially the WILL NOT BE REPAIRED ones.

Repairing permissions for “THIS WILL BE THE MASTER LEO OMNI”
    Reading permissions database.
    Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/LeopardPanels.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/PreferencePanes", should be 0, group is 80.
    Permissions differ on "Library/PreferencePanes", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .
    Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

User differs on ".", should be 0, user is 501.
    Group differs on ".", should be 80, group is 501.
    Permissions differ on ".", should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Spotlight/iWork.mdimporter/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Anything to worry about? Where is a place that one can look up these codes and see what they mean?

Thanks!!!
    :apple:

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I've seen this very same problem on my own machine. My understanding is that it's an issue with permissions in Leopard specifically. I don't think it's anything to really worry about.

3. Mellingerlocke macrumors newbie

Kernel massages

I started getting Kernel messages about a week ago and have been fiddling with my iBook (perhaps too much!) to try and fix it. It also will freeze pretty frequently. I turned of my airport and bluetooth, and it seemed to help for a bit but I still get kernel messages sometimes, and it still freezes for no reason. ALSO, my USBs don't seem to want to work. I have a USB drive that I use for getting on the internet (I'm in the Peace Corps and have no other means of interneting) which works fine (kind of) but my externals aren't being recognized and neither is my iPod. I also get this message when trying to verify in disk utility.

Verifying volume “The Love Machine”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Invalid index key
    The volume The Love Machine needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

It has also been acting strange in other way. i.e. The Apple icon won't open for some reason. Keep in mind I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have my system disks. Can anyone help me? Please.... pretty please!
    -Martin (in Moldova)

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Mellingerlocke, you almost definitely have a bad hard drive. There's no way to fix this other than replacing it with a new one. Back up your data if you can. Your symptoms will only get worse. Eventually your machine will not boot.

5. Mellingerlocke macrumors newbie

Is there any explanation for why my internet flash will work but the others don't seem to? How do I back up everything? I have a small hardrive (60 G's) but I also have a pretty big external that can hold everything. I already backed up all of my music, pics, docs and some apps right after it started happening, so I'm okay for right now. How do you replace a hardrive?

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

A program like Superduper will make an exact copy of your hard drive if you want to do a thorough backup. Replacing a harddrive is not really something you can do yourself. If you have an apple store nearby or, better yet, an apple certified repair shop, they're the ones who will be able to replace it.

7. Mellingerlocke macrumors newbie

Not Again

So I had my hard drive replaced as a result of all the kernel panics and eventual failure to bott by my iBook G4. But now I'm getting the Panics AGAIN. Here is the panic log.
    Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC
    panic(cpu 0 caller 0xFFFF0003): 0x300 - Data access
    Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
    Backtrace:
    0x000954F8 0x00095A10 0x00026898 0x000A8204 0x000ABB80
    Proceeding back via exception chain:
    Exception state (sv=0x3468C000)
    PC=0x0003FFD4; MSR=0x00009030; DAR=0x945C0000; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x0003FFBC; R1=0x1232BBE0; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)
    Backtrace:
    0x026AA008 0x00075640 0x000777A4 0x00071228 0x0006271C 0x000A865C
    0x000ABB80
    Exception state (sv=0x273A7C80)
    PC=0xFFFF82A4; MSR=0x0000F030; DAR=0xA001023C; DSISR=0x0A000000; LR=0x900323C8; R1=0xF00808A0; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC
    Can anyone help me?!!!!! Please
    -Martin in the Mold

8. Mellingerlocke macrumors newbie

9. nemodomi macrumors member

nemodomi

IMO your overriding problem -- paucity of responses to your stated problem(s) -- is that you posted your problem in a thread the title of which has little or nothing to do with YOUR problem. Bad/weak form. Try starting a new thread with an appropriate title. The more specific you are in wording your title, the more likely you'll be to get decent responses. And if I were you, in that new thread I'd fully detail the problem from the time it began up to present date.