Help needed; apps crashing regularly on OSX Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by discosoap, Sep 8, 2008.

1. discosoap macrumors regular

Hi there,

I am quite new to mac and osx, and I need some help here :) Please view the screenshots (sorry they are not in English) included in this post. I've been having regular crashes of apps in Leopard, which appear to come out of nowhere. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, because it all happens during normal useage (e.g. opening help-viewer, searching with spotlight, etc.)
    If you recognise these crashes, or have any idea how I can stop them from happening, please let me know. I am currently using a 1st gen macbook with OSX 10.5.4. (if more info is needed, please let me know)

Kind regards,

Discosoap

Attached Files:

2. Cadium macrumors member

Have you run the Apple Hardware Diagnostic Test? To do this, simply insert the first Mac OS X Install DVD that came with your Mac, and then restart the computer while holding down "D" while booting up and follow the on-screen instructions.

From the details included in those crash logs, it looks like you may have a faulty stick of RAM. Have you added any RAM to the computer since you purchased it?

3. discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your quick response!! yes indeed I've changed my RAM memory, but I am using Corsair 1GB strips (I thought this brand would work good with intel macs, what do you think??). The Apple Hardware Diagnostic Test is a great idea. Any idea on how to do this without the use of the dvd (as my combodrive is dead)??? :eek:

Attached Files:

4. Cadium macrumors member

Do you happen to have the original memory modules that shipped with your computer? If so, I would recommend removing the Corsair modules and swapping the originals back into the computer and see if the issue still occurs.

How old is your MacBook? If it is still under warranty I would recommend getting your Combo Drive fixed. Newer Mac models allow you to press down D while booting to enter AHT without the disc, but I believe this only works with Macintoshes released in February 2008 onwards.