Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InchesInFalling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hello, I have an iBook G4 12" that got knocked onto its open screen a few months ago. A day or so later, the Num Lock key and Volume keys started to switch functions and the result was the screen going blank. We bought another iBook that had a broken logic board and combined parts. Everything is all back together and setup but now the fan isn't going on and the screen is unresponsive.

Does anybody now what the problem could be?

InchesInFalling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Update: When I press the on button the Caps Lock light and the switched Num Lock light turn on when pressed but the computer doesn't seem to be on. The apple on the cover doesn't light up, the screen stays off and there is no fan noise or anything audible coming from the computer.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Did you connect the display cable? Also what did you exactly swap out between the original and purchased computer?

InchesInFalling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Did you connect the display cable? Also what did you exactly swap out between the original and purchased computer?

I put everything except for the aluminum frame from the original mac into the new one and I'm pretty sure I connected everything.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
As painful as it is (and I've done it) you should check everything again.
Hopefully something's just come unplugged.

InchesInFalling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
As painful as it is (and I've done it) you should check everything again.
Hopefully something's just come unplugged.

Yeah, unfortunately, you're probably right.

What about the switched keys, pressing the volume key to turn on Num Lock?
I put a brand new keyboard in and its still doing it.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
If the screen was not working after the accident I do not see how changing the case will help.

Have you changed any components or parts other than the case?

When the iBook fell did the screen bend right back? That is did the hinge bend further than intended. This is a common cause of broken iBooks.

Sounds serious but may be fun to fix. Hope it is not the MoBo.

InchesInFalling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If the screen was not working after the accident I do not see how changing the case will help.

Have you changed any components or parts other than the case?

When the iBook fell did the screen bend right back? That is did the hinge bend further than intended. This is a common cause of broken iBooks.

Sounds serious but may be fun to fix. Hope it is not the MoBo.

The insides seem to be fine except for the original frame that was broken, and it now has the screen, outside covers, and keyboard from the purchased one because, yes, the screen bent back pretty bad. I'm just kind of confused on what else the problem would be.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Possible hair line crack in the MoBo. You could try an external display. Start from an external drive.

Trouble is when the iBook screen bends back hard it can really do some damage.

Just check everything again. If all connections are ok and you do not even get any hard drive vibrations take it into an Apple store for advice. They are pretty cool if it is quiet and you are polite.

InchesInFalling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
So even if theres a completely different screen and such on there that could still have done damage to the other stuff?

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
mother board
main board
logic board

yeah the strain the hinge puts through the whole iBook can damage the board when forced back hard.

You could try the Hard Drive in an external case on another computer.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
There is a chip on ibooks that get flexed understress and cause the ibook to shut down.

YOu have to solder the chip. XLR8yourmac has a tutorial on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.