Help Needed: Can't install Mac OS X on new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shanekosch, May 6, 2009.

1. shanekosch macrumors newbie

Alright, so my hard drive died a week ago and i bought a new one. i am positive that i have installed it correctly. but when i run the install discs, after i choose english as the language, it says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer". I am using the install discs that my macbook came with. i have tried following many online tutorials that involve partioning and formatting but i can't seem to get it to work.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you have used Disk Utility during the Setup process (via the Menu bar > Utilities) and formatted the drive with HFS+ (Journaled)?

Can the new HDD even be read with Disk Utility?

3. shanekosch thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS X says it cannot be installed on my computer

i put in a new hard drive and i ran the install discs that came with my macbook, which i bought in september of 07. after selecting english as the language, it says "mac os x cannot be installed on this computer". i have tried following online tutorials on how to partion and format the new drive but i can't seem to get it to work. any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Just to clarify, you are using the disks with the Macbook, right?

Try cleaning them with a wipe, that solved it for me.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope those are not the disks that came with your computer. You need to contact Apple either way.

If those are the disks, they need to replace them, if you don't have the disks, you need to buy them.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. shanekosch thread starter macrumors newbie

yea they are the discs that came with my macbook

yea the disk utility recognizes the new hard drive, and i am almost positive that these discs came with my computer. they are a little bit scratched. that may be the problem. what are my options instead of having to buy the new software. can i borrow the disks from someone else? i bought this in sept of 07. which means it is tiger

9. frenetic macrumors regular

OK, here is a step by step:

1. Boot from your install discs (dvd) by holding c while starting up
    2. Do not choose to install but quit the installer, instead you will be able to choose in the menu bar disk utility (amongst other options)
    3. Once you have opened disk utility, partition your new hard drive as a GUID partition, and also give it a name.
    4. Restart, holding again the c key.
    5. When you get to the choose your language dialogue you will see that it does work this time.

In short, your new drive is not appropriately formatted and you need to do that first, using diks utility.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One thread per topic.

What do you mean that you're almost positive the discs came with that Mac? I don't think the discs being scratched have anything to do with it. It really does sound like you're either using the wrong set of discs, or, as previously linked, you're using the wrong partitioning scheme on your disc.

So try making sure you made a GUID partition scheme and then re-try the install, or else call Apple and ask for replacement restore discs.

11. shanekosch thread starter macrumors newbie

so i'll do a 1 partion? and what type of format? max os extended journaled?