Help needed choosing new HIGH-END 24 inch LCD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanJeff, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

Hello,

I am seeking personal help for choosing a new 24 inch HIGH-END LCD monitor for my mac pro (2008) and PC. Due to business, I will be switching using a KVM between the two systems so that won't be an issue.

What I need the new monitor for the most is doing 3D art work/design, some video editing, web design, etc. Basically, something really nice. NOTE: I will NOT be using this for a TV, only production. Price is not a big concern since I am after quality first. Therefore, I am wondering what I have to choose from that is current 2007/2008 models that would fit my needs. I have looked at:

1. ACD 23" inch - like it but don't like the fact it does not swivel for portrait or landscape modes like most do now days. Also, lacks some inputs found on todays models.

2. Dell 24" inch - like the new 2007/08 version, but it doesn't seem to be high-end panel like I need. Otherwise features are good.

3. HP or Samsung? Not sure what is available there, but some REALLY like their high-end models.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

2. downhillski1 macrumors member

I personally like the high end LaCie monitors for their color accuracy. Many of the high end ones come with LaCie's own calibration software and hardware called blue eye. Below is a link to a 25" professional LaCie monitor at B+H. It can rotate 90 deg, has a 1900x1200 resolution and a professional color gamut. All of the high end Lacie monitors I have used i have like, so I would think this one will be good too (I have used many for graphics and photo work). Plus it includes their blue eye software and a screen hood to reduce glare. The monitor isn't cheap though - its $2150 at B+H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495366-REG/LaCie_130766_526_25_5_Widescreen_LCD.html

I have used Samsung, Dell, HP. etc. monitors also, but I find LaCie to be the most color accurate, and hold their calibration settings the longest out of most all the other monitors I have used.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

In addition to Lacie you might want to look at Eizo and NEC displays.

4. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

I am currently looking heavy at both the LaCie model and the NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK. They are both really good monitors for my use, with the NEC having almost the same specs as the LaCie. However, it does not come with the hood (which I most likely will not need) or color calibration tools. It also doesn't do quite as much Adobe RGB color reproduction, but it's close. For the price difference, I am leaning to the NEC and at least giving it a try because it has great reviews.

I will be buying soon, any other models or thoughts welcome in the $1-2K price range.

Thanks for your input and replies on this.

5. macgruder macrumors 6502

Take a look carefully on the NEC site. I think you'll find a version of the 2490 with color calibration tools for about $200 more.