Help needed - Dell 2209WA with MBP 13" doesn't work...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karatekidk, Sep 6, 2009.

1. karatekidk macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I just bought myself an entry-level MBP 13". Coming from PB 12" 1.5 ghz, this is a major upgrade for me, and I am happy about it. However, there is one thing that I cannot figure out.

I have been a happy user of Dell 2209WA, which works perfectly with my PB. Today, I connected the monitor to my brand-new MBP via Mini DisplayPort to VGA adaptor. After connecting it, I closed the machine and woke up using my mouse. Immediately after that, the monitor said "Entering Power Saving Mode." I clicked the mouse, then the picture was sort of blurry. Then the monitor kept on entering power saving mode... As for the picture quality, even after I opened system pref. and detected the monitor, it was still not good. I'm totally bummed, because I really like the monitor.

English is my second language, so I am afraid that what I wrote above doesn't make sense to many people. Even so, I would appreciate your help on the issue I am having.

2. illibball087 macrumors regular

time to use dvi man mini display port to dvi adapter is needed for best picture

3. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Oh... Is that what I need? Are you sure? The sales person at Apple Store told me I need mini display port to VGA...

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

dvi will be better. plus it will turn on faster and won't have to go through the analog junk it goes through now.

5. rtheb macrumors 6502

You just need a Mini-Display Port to DVI adapter to connect the display's DVI cord to the MacBook Pro which you can buy at Monoprice

6. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Yay!

I bought a MDPort to DVI adaptor today and tried it with my dell 2209WA. It's working perfectly. Thank you!

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I can't believe the salesperson told you this. Knowing you had an LCD, why even consider VGA? That salesperson just gave you unnecessary headache. What the hell are they paying this person for?

Hearing stuff like this just makes me upset. :mad:

9. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I also bought an EyeTV Hybrid to watch tv. So far, I'm totally satisfied!

10. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it wasn't too happy about it, but I think I learned a lesson from my experience. Whenever I buy something, I should do some homework beforehand...

Oh, I think I will still be able to use the VGA adaptor to hook it up to a projector for presentations...