Help needed fast!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Noztra, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noztra macrumors newbie

Hey there MacRumors!

I want to RE-Install Mac OS X, but the problem is, i lost my cd that came with my iMac 27''

Is there a way i can get my OS X reinstalled? I really need it, cause my iMac needs it, its filled with things and stuff, i just want to start on a new.

Thank you,
    Noztra

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Order replacement installation discs by calling Apple, or buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there really no other ways? Like burning a copy, or something? I really need this done fast!

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

In the future, you should buy a portable backup disk. They're relatively inexpensive (around $100 or so). Then you can clone your drive and you won't have to worry about this.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

yes there our other illegal ways to get it

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

No offense OP, but it amazes me just how many people end up losing installation DVD / CD's....I have mine going back to day one, all in proper cases all filed ready for use should an emergency arise.

Apple is your only way I'm afraid...Don't know what they charge, but it wouldn't be megabucks.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

OMG, really?!

Going that route is not worth it, OP. Also, I've heard of people going to the Apple Store and getting a CD for free. It doesn't hurt to try.

8. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

Can someone provide a illegal way here? Or is it impossible?

9. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

No, not here....read the forum rules please.

10. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry then, can someone tell me how to get that free cd then?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Call Apple for replacement disks. They're not free, but around $25.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You go to the Apple Store, tell them your predicament, and hope for a nice Genius.

13. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to burn the OS X Lion from mac appstore to a cd? So i can use that if i delete my hard drive?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

When I requested a Snow Leopard and iLife DVD replacements they wanted to charge $16each - i got them for free - persistence can pay off

P.S. For the record I was not sponsoring getting illegal software in my previous post- simply telling the OP the only way possible is through illegal means.

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

17. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

So i can actually use this as a cd? If yes, awesome!

18. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

First of all, reinstalling OSX and fast shouldn't be used together in a sentence or even in the same paragraph. Apple makes it extremely easy to reinstall the OS but since you are missing your original CD, you are in a special situation that requires time and thought.

First of all, follow the suggestion to get a replacement CD from Apple. Losing installation CDs and DVDs is nothing to be embarrassed about. I lose them all the time which is why I'm SO glad I only have one machine left that needs any kind of CD whatsoever. What I suggest you do is back up your installation disk when it comes so you can burn yourself another one. Along this line is the suggestion to burn yourself a Lion install USB stick. But there is a possibility that even if you had a Lion stick, it could balk at installing on your hardware on a blank HDD. This is why I recommend investing in a replacement install DVD.

And however urgent you think reinstalling your OS is, how urgent do you think it would become if you rendered your machine so it wouldn't boot because you were in a hurry? Slow down and take your time and read up on what to do before you jump in and possibly lose data in the process.

19. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

In a PM, a user asked...

I'm going to answer this in the thread where it can be viewed by all...

Yes. Maybe. What you need is an external USB HDD or a USB to SATA cable and a "spare" SATA HDD. Here are the steps I would recommend:

1 - Download Lion in the app store
    2 - Make yourself a Lion install USB stick
    3 - connect an EMPTY external USB HDD
    4 - format the external HDD HFS+ Journaled/GUID partition scheme and name it "test HD"
    5 - Boot holding ctrl with the external HDD plugged in and the Lion USB stick plugged in
    6 - Pick the Lion install USB at boot time and pick "test HD" as the destination. If the install works, you know you are good to go and you haven't risked your "real" HDD.

Once all this is done, you still have something to think about. If you are going to wipe and install, where are you keeping your data? How do you plan to bring your data back? If you are relying on migrating from a recent Time Machine backup, be careful as I've had TM backups (to network drives) fail more than once!

20. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

You made my day bro! That was what i needed! Thank you!

21. Noztra, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

Help me, im ****ed!

Hello MR.

I erased my imac harddrive, so now i cant start my mac up :/ So what can i do? Im writing from another comupter, is it possible i can do something from this computer? I really need help fast!
    Some kind of download that i can use, just something!
    I got no cd ;(

22. bmacir macrumors 6502

23. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly... no D: I need some kind of apple user, that already bought lion on their mac

24. bmacir macrumors 6502

DId you try restarting your Mac holding down the Command key and the R key (Command-R)?

25. Damo01 macrumors regular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.