help needed for buying a used 21" Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by greebird15, Aug 27, 2012.

1. greebird15 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm thinking on buying a used 21" Imac, It would be my first used Mac product. I have always bought new Macs but with the new iMac coming out very soon (supposedly), I expect a price drop on the used actual ones right?

I would like any kind of tips/advice or things I should be aware of when looking for buying a used Imac.
    For example which production week Imac gives less problems, or if I should avoid certain models)

PS: I will buy it in Europe so I will not be using Craiglist hehe.

2. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Welcome to my world. I am in a similar position.

As for the new Imac: all specualtions and I am asking myself the question if I want to wait or if I need the update. Nothing is confirmed....

I was in a slightly different position when the Ipad2 was only 4 days away from being announced and I was just about to buy the first Ipad... of course I waited while I saw people still buying them... But here the question is: What are we waiting for, when will it happen and is the waiting worth it?!

I wish I would have the answer...

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If I was in the market for a second-hand iMac...I would check the refurb section of the Apple store....You get full warranty, a machine that is as new, and no risk with third party web sites etc. Yes, they are more expensive than true secondhand offerings, but the are like brand new.

4. greebird15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i was gonna wait initially, but later on I realize that with the actual iMac performance it would be enough for me.

You said if it would be worth it to wait for a new realease, I think that prices of the "old 2011 iMac" will potentilly be lower after the realease right? I really dont know this because is my first time buying used Macs

thanks for sharing your thoughs ;)

----------

Hi Macman45,

Do you know if apple ussually lowers down the price once a new product is release? In this case possibly a new iMac.

I though of getting a refurb one, but is not really that cheap, in Europe we have 2 years warranty so, if I get a 2011 model I still have 1 more year of warranty, thats why Im not really afraid on buying a used one.

Thanks

5. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Well, thats usually the case with other equipment like Iphone, Ipads etc.

I am not saying you will save 300-400 quid, but we could be talking about 100-150...