Help needed for installing OSX Lion on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mark-Technology, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Mark-Technology macrumors member

Hey,

I bought a new Macbook Pro with lion pre-installed about two weeks ago from Apple Officially. My iMac was bought from eBay from a person who was reselling it. It is from Mid-2010.

Since I have officially bought Lion on my new Macbook Pro, can I not install it on my iMac which is running Snow Leopard? I was expecting to, but I cannot find anything relative to OSX Lion Download in the Purchases tab on the App Store; instead it says $29.99 when I find Lion in the app store where as it says 'installed' on my macbook pro's app store.

Does anyone have a way to upgrade to what I technically did pay for?

Regards,
    Mark

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you buy a Mac with Lion pre-installed on it, you can't update other Macs to Lion for free. If you buy Lion at the Mac App Store, you can install it on all Macs you own.

3. Mark-Technology thread starter macrumors member

Well that's a nice way to rip people off.

I forgot this is Apple we were talking about. -.-

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not ripping people off. It's called "free enterprise". You bought a Mac. It came with the OS installed, without you paying an extra separate $30 charge. If you want it on other Macs that also came with an OS installed, it's reasonable to charge for it. It's only $30, after all. :rolleyes:

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Personally, I think your expectations were wrong. When you buy a computer... the OS license is just for that one machine. It never would have occurred to me that buying a new computer would give me a license to upgrade the OS on every other computer I own.

OTOH... the terms of the MAS are quite clear. When you buy something there, it covers all of your computers.

Nobody was ripped off here. You never paid for an upgrade license for your computers... irrespective of your expectations.

/Jim

6. Tonecrafter macrumors member

Troll radar just went off for some reason...

7. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

i think its normal, when u buy a pc with windows can u instal windows for free in all your laptops pc etc ?:)

8. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I agree, but his first post seemed fairly sincere. I would say he isn't necessarily trolling, just disappointed to hear the ultimate truth.

He probably thought that someone on here might give him some weird hack or work around and only to his disappointment, he instead heard the truth.

9. Mark-Technology thread starter macrumors member

Not trolling guys.

Sorry about my second post if it was a bit offensive/aggressive. I was disappointed, that's all. I love apple and now I understand the concept.

Thanks
    Mark

10. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

+1

Did you know I usually charge to read people's minds?

11. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

It can be done but i'm not sure instructions on how to do it would be allowed to be posted here.

Google is your friend :)

12. Mark-Technology thread starter macrumors member

;)

----------

I tend to go with legal options now-a-days. I have went to the illegal side, but it comes with problems. I can't seem to find any legal way to do this on google. :confused:

13. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

WHat you expect is like filling a car with petrol and expecting the same amount of petrol to magically appear in your second car. If you think lion is a rip off at 20 pounds or so have you seen the cost of win 7? Its about a hundred quid. lion is so cheap its practically free.

14. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Actually, it's worth the extra $30 for the Lion upgrade because Apple doesn't ship new computers with the system DVD. If you follow the instructions to save a copy of the Lion upgrader when it downloads then you have what many consider to be a better back up system (you wouldn't have to use that internet restore thing).

You'll see bunches of posts in MacRumors from disappointed new users who can't download the Lion updater. So think of it as an investment in a better backup strategy.