Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qua

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
At my wits end - Apple has me at a point where I cannot continue…

1- two "sites" on mobile me: Easter Island WebLog and a new Easter Island Journal (both "working")
2- the Journal loads fine, files turn blue, great. Fast, easy, normal. New, under construction.
3- the WebLog is a blog that suddenly takes 45' to an hour to load a small correction on fast internet, takes another 10 minutes for the web to recognize the site, files stay red but I get the assurrance that it loaded fine. Tried uploading whole site to fix the problem, same 45' to hour. Obviously loading entire site every small change.
4- Apple won't go further until I try deleting the folder from idisk and then reuploading site. Only then will they take a closer look. Went thru all the other hoops.
5- At the rate of scanning for delete, this will take 3 to 4 hours on a 233mb blog that I kept over three years and plan to continue next trip.
6-Running iWeb 3.01 on Leopard 10.58 on a 2009 MBP.
7- Journal, in construction: web.me.com/craigart
8- for blog hit the blog link near top of page. Blog has entries going back into 2006.
9- Solution? Cause? Means to delete the old blog at least as fast as I can upload it? Help!

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
At my wits end - Apple has me at a point where I cannot continue…

1- two "sites" on mobile me: Easter Island WebLog and a new Easter Island Journal (both "working")
2- the Journal loads fine, files turn blue, great. Fast, easy, normal. New, under construction.
3- the WebLog is a blog that suddenly takes 45' to an hour to load a small correction on fast internet, takes another 10 minutes for the web to recognize the site, files stay red but I get the assurrance that it loaded fine. Tried uploading whole site to fix the problem, same 45' to hour. Obviously loading entire site every small change.
4- Apple won't go further until I try deleting the folder from idisk and then reuploading site. Only then will they take a closer look. Went thru all the other hoops.
5- At the rate of scanning for delete, this will take 3 to 4 hours on a 233mb blog that I kept over three years and plan to continue next trip.
6-Running iWeb 3.01 on Leopard 10.58 on a 2009 MBP.
7- Journal, in construction: web.me.com/craigart
8- for blog hit the blog link near top of page. Blog has entries going back into 2006.
9- Solution? Cause? Means to delete the old blog at least as fast as I can upload it? Help!

(Hope you don't mind me quoting your text but I find it's hard for me to answer questions when I have to scroll down and up. Thanks!)

Answer to Question 3: When I was testing with a free host with my iWeb stuff I also found that uploading it via FTP was... Painful. I then found experimented and tested and found out that I didn't need to upload the whole thing, but just the "changed" things. For example, if I made a new blog post, then I just uploaded the blog area. A lot faster.

But if you don't trust these stuff, then you can always have a "maintenance" time every week/month where you upload the whole site just in case you missed out some stuff.

qua

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
status report

I have been uploading changes only for the three years, all uploads go very quickly. This is a sudden phenomenon where I am not being permitted to upload simply changes because the files remain red after upload, requiring all files to be reuploaded each time. Something is amiss with the blog file or the Apple server - it confirms the upload and changes but does not change file color to blue in iWeb.

Status - I'm on modem at home, but the deletion process is even slower than my modem so I left it on deleting overnight. Still going. I estimate a total deletion time of 12 hours for two folders of about 200 megs each (same pace on broadband). That is insane. I'll be able to upload them 10 times faster than that.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I have been uploading changes only for the three years, all uploads go very quickly. This is a sudden phenomenon where I am not being permitted to upload simply changes because the files remain red after upload, requiring all files to be reuploaded each time. Something is amiss with the blog file or the Apple server - it confirms the upload and changes but does not change file color to blue in iWeb.

Status - I'm on modem at home, but the deletion process is even slower than my modem so I left it on deleting overnight. Still going. I estimate a total deletion time of 12 hours for two folders of about 200 megs each (same pace on broadband). That is insane. I'll be able to upload them 10 times faster than that.

No matter whether I do the whole upload or separate uploads in the folders (Oh, and backup all your stuff before trying to do this (Separate uploads) unless you have a copy in iWeb. Also backup your iWeb too.) the upload speeds are still slow (Goes at around 200 bytes?! to 4-20 kbps), although if I do separate uploads there are les things to process.

I haven't used .Mac or Mobileme before (Nor iDisk) so I don't know what the "files remain red" mean. Could I have a screenshot?

I'm not so sure about the deleting part too since I haven't used MobileMe before, but I have also noticed that deleting on hosting is... Very slow. Probably same speed as uploading it.

qua

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
more

On mobileme deleting is 1/10 the speed of upload. Odd. The red and blue refers to the fact that, in iWeb, altered files turn red in the file list. When you upload the changes they turn blue - the instant the dialog box comes up declaring a successful update. Evidently mobileme confirms the files individually and OKs them. Then when you reupload the next time, the server recognizes the blue files and ignores them. The dialog box is coming up, but the files remain red. Then it reups them again the next time, and they remain red again. The odd thing is that this does not happen with the other site in my iWeb, it behaves as it should. So, can't be iweb, or the server. Something about that blog file is screwed up somewhere. The whole while, the site functions.

Still deleting the whole thing, was trying to find a faster way. Then, in a couple of hours after it is finally done with 12 hours of deleting, after I upload the site again, if the same thing happens, Apple says they will look at the site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.