Help needed for next Apple purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ClemTiger0408, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I have a 15" 2007 MacBook Pro. In August it will be coming out of warranty. It runs fine for the most part, has a few external blemishes, but really, the machine runs very well.

However, with it coming out of warranty soon I am thinking of getting a new computer. Obviously, I'll be waiting for a MBP refresh.

So I'm considering getting the 3G iPad when its released instead of a new MBP. If I got a MBP I'd get the 13" screen (unless the refresh has some solid reason for me to get the 15").

I am not a content creator, I am a content consumer. I spend pretty all my home time on my laptop, but I'm never doing anything more than surfing the web, organizing music, and occasionally converting videos.

I am not considering replacing my Macbook Pro with an iPad, but instead not updating the MacBook Pro, buying the iPad, and just praying that my MBP doesn't die out on me.

What do you think about this? Or should I not take the gamble on the iPad and get a new MBP?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) An iPad is not a stand-alone device. You have a portable device that does more than an iPad will. Why buy an iPad? It would make more sense if you had a desktop and wanted portability.
    2) A MacBooK Pro is overkill for what you use it for. Either an iMac/Mini or a MacBook would have served your needs.
    3) MacBook Pros don't just die out of warranty. If you take care of it it will last for years for what you need it for. Why spend more money?