Help needed for removing unwanted trial ware, languages etc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klex, Jul 11, 2007.

1. klex macrumors regular

All,

Is there a way to get rid of trial software, languages and other things taking up unnecessary space without reinstalling OSX?

If so, could someone please be so kind as recommend what I need to remove, and where those things are located.

Thanks a lot!

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

use Monolingual for removing extra languages.

as for deleting unwanted apps, just drag them to the trash.

to free up more space, you might also consider deleting printer drivers you'll never use from Macintosh HD > Library > Printers.

3. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Great. Deleting languages as I'm writing this.

I don't see any apps I want to get rid of in my apps folder, but someone mentioned in another thread that the OS came with trial ware. Don't really need that, but is that also in my apps folder? Yes, yes I know I sound like a rookie, but that's because I am. Also, I thought macs didn't come with all this "extra" space eating stuff like regular PCs.

Is also possible to reinstall the printer drivers if I delete them and later find that I actually need them afterall?

4. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

You can also use App Delete to get rid of programs. Don't forget the printer drivers! I think I freed up 2 GB or so between those and the languages. I forget what app I used for the printer delete...

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The only trials that I know of that they come with is the MS office trial and the iWork trial.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The only programs that it Macs come with are in the Applications folder. The only trialware I can think of is that the Pro machines ship with Microsoft Office trial. But it is clearly labeled in the Applications folder.

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I don't think they do. Only MSOffice and iWork. It also has some free apps and games but nothing like the amount of crap the has come on the PCs my family has bought over the years. To delete apps, you can download the shareware app Cleanapp, or spotlight the name of the app you want to delete and drag all the related files to the trash. Hope this help!

8. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys! Freed up over 2GB! Let's hope I didn't mess anything up...

Will I be able to reinstall the printer drivers later if I buy a new printer?

9. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Ya, I think so. I think you can get them off the discs that came with your mac. In the installer select the drivers you want to instal. Also apple.com has a download section for drivers.

Wait and see from another person just to make sure. :)

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, you can either just download the printer driver from the appropriate manufacturer website, or you call install it from the OSX install disk.

11. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Again, thanks a lot to everyone who responded so fast. This forum is invaluable to newbies like me. Much better than calling apple care