Help needed for sharing internet connection with windows and tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by julian of amber, Jun 24, 2007.

1. julian of amber macrumors newbie

I have a pc which runs windows xp and I also have an ibook G4 which runs 10.4.10 . I just bought a pair of D-Link DWL-G122 usb wireless sticks. I thought by this way I can share the net connection and can use the printer which is connected to my desktop pc. I installed the sticks on both computers with drivers. Then I created a "home or small office network connection" on my windows pc. So I just get connected the two machines. I've also chosen "Allow other users connect through this computer's internet connection" on my windows box. But I still couldn't get my ibook connected to internet. I've done a quick research on google and forums, but couldn't find an advice which can solve my problem. Can anyone help me to share internet connection between my pc and ibook?:confused:

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

The best way to do this in my opinion is to simply get a wireless router. Use that to connect to the internet. Then you can hardwire the machine that is in the same room as the connection, and setup the other to connect wirelessly. This will mean you won't need the PC on to get your mac online.

If you want to make your current setup work, my question is do you have the iBook recognizing the USb wireless adaptor? Those things need drivers to work, so make sure you got the latest ones from the manufacturer website. I'm not a big fan of the USB adaptors because of the need for drivers. I prefer ethernet based ones that work without drivers. Their downside though is that they also require a wall outlet to plug into.

3. afd macrumors 6502a

try it the other way around. Connect the iBook to the internet and then go to sharing in system preferences, click the internet tab, make sure airport is checked then click start. Airport options lets you make a WEP key to make the network secure.
    Not too sure how using a USB wifi adapter complicates things compared to using a standard Airport card though.

4. piscies75 macrumors newbie

isp setting violation

Connect the iBook to the internet and then go to sharing in system preferences, click the internet tab, make sure airport is checked then click start. Airport options lets you make a WEP key to make the network secure.

when I tried this on my ibook it said that It could effect my isp settings and violate the lan agreement with my cable company , your thoughts please.:eek: